Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all...looking at a Braztech (made for Taurus) m92 in 44 mag. Has a 24" octagon barrel. Was owned by a gunsmith and shop onwer that passed away recently. Has a Marbles tang sight on it. Looks to have never been fired although it's from his personal collection. His daughter is selling off alot of firearms.

I have the chance to buy this for 475.00. I think it's a good deal but would like some opinions.....Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That price is close to new price, but with the tang site added, and the fact that Rossi rifles are hard to find, I'd go for it.
thanks breeze....that's what i was thinking. it is case hardened and has a fibre optic front site. i think he must have set it up for himself and never got around to trying it....it's virtually new. no even a handling mark anywhere on it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My only experience is with a Rossi-made Puma 1892 in .454 Casull. Other than the pretty fierce recoil, my only issues with the gun were A.) no one made a scope mount for it that would tolerate that fierce recoil, and B.) the cheap rear sight (which was a three dot fiber optic sight) was also not able to tolerate the recoil and sighting the gun in was an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My only experience is with a Rossi-made Puma 1892 in .454 Casull. Other than the pretty fierce recoil, my only issues with the gun were A.) no one made a scope mount for it that would tolerate that fierce recoil, and B.) the cheap rear sight (which was a three dot fiber optic sight) was also not able to tolerate the recoil and sighting the gun in was an exercise in futility.
I have a Rossi Model 92 lever action in 44 Mag, 16" barrel. I love the gun. The only issues I ever had with the gun were sights. I tried tang sighs, buckhorn sights, peep sights that fit into the safety hole on the bolt. Eventually, after several years of frustration I bought an XS aperture that screws to the frame behind the locking lugs. Finally, I have excellent sights.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
hi all...looking at a Braztech (made for Taurus) m92 in 44 mag. Has a 24" octagon barrel. Was owned by a gunsmith and shop onwer that passed away recently. Has a Marbles tang sight on it. Looks to have never been fired although it's from his personal collection. His daughter is selling off alot of firearms.

I have the chance to buy this for 475.00. I think it's a good deal but would like some opinions.....Thanks
I own 4 Rossi 92's Love em all. Are they perfect ? No, but good value for the money, and for what you'll pay for a Winchester branded 92, you can fix the shortfalls and have $$ left over to buy several hundred rounds of ammo for it. $475 is a good deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own 4 Rossi 92's Love em all. Are they perfect ? No, but good value for the money, and for what you'll pay for a Winchester branded 92, you can fix the shortfalls and have $$ left over to buy several hundred rounds of ammo for it. $475 is a good deal.
thank you....i am excited to get it home. if the snow ever goes away so i can shoot...hahaha

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
thank you....i am excited to get it home. if the snow ever goes away so i can shoot...hahaha
I got the chance to shoot my latest Rossi 92, a 20" Octagon bbl Short rifle in 357 mag yesterday. It was like shootin a 22 with the extra weight of the barrel. The others I have are a Short rifle in 44 mag and two 24" bbl 92'slso in 44 mag, one's blued the other in stainless. The only issues I had were the mag tubes shooting loose under recoil from 290-350 gr heavy loads. That and the sights, but I replaced all with Winchester sights off of 94's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
had to wait for the guns to clear court after the owner passed.....will be picking it up saturday. hopefully the weather is on my side so i can shoot. we had snow here monday and rain since. did warm up to the mid 40's today though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Wife and I had our Rossi's out on Wednesday. She shoots .357 and I shoot .45 Colt. At 40 yards we both hit every target we aimed at and hit them with every shot. Some of my steel targets are rather small, and some are larger. We both can hit the larger targets at 80 yards, but we can't see the smaller targets good enough to zero in. Both rifles are equipped with the original buckhorn sights.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife and I had our Rossi's out on Wednesday. She shoots .357 and I shoot .45 Colt. At 40 yards we both hit every target we aimed at and hit them with every shot. Some of my steel targets are rather small, and some are larger. We both can hit the larger targets at 80 yards, but we can't see the smaller targets good enough to zero in. Both rifles are equipped with the original buckhorn sights.
good stuff....i hope to get out today if it stops raining.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've got 2 Rossi .357mag leverguns, a blued 20" carbine and a case hardened 24" rifle. I got them NIB back in 2009 and I love both. They are my favorite leverguns of the 8 I have and both are surprisingly accurate considering that they are shooting 158grn pistol bullets which are not designed for long range.

I got Steve Young's DvD and slickup kits for both and did action and trigger jobs on them. They are slick as snot and have been very reliable with both having some 5K rds through them.

My carbine is great for shooting plates at up to 150yds with the Marbles sights I added:

My rifle is set up for longer range shooting with a tang rear and globe front sight. I use it to shoot steel plates at 300yds, yes 300yds, and bowling pins at 200yds as well:

Reactions: Jack9211

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have no doubt at all that a Rossi is capable of accuracy out to 300 yards. My private shooting range is limited to about 80 yards. 100 yards is possible but not realistic. If I miss at 80 yards, it is my fault.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts