Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...for at least a few days of deer season in new york, anyone have experience with it hunting? its only ever killed 4X4 blocks and water jugs. and a whole bunch of paper. so i need to get some deer kills on it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody? not even a "thats too much bullet for deer"?

·
Registered
224 Posts
no experience with a .450 bushmaster i'm sure it can do the job though, deer are not big animals, i'd say as long as your within 100 yards you should be ok after that your gonna need to estimate for drop. i'm from new york, i'm gonna be hunting with a custom .45-70 this year with buffalo bore rounds. Where in new york?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill be hunting mostly alleghany county. but i may venture up to livingston. my father in laws parents have land up there, as well as one of his friends. if i go to livingston ill need to borrow a shotgun, but thats no big deal. mostly ill be using my .223, but i want to use the .450 also.

man, i cant wait till regular opener. my father in law is moving stands, tells me the bucks are chasing does, lots of movement, and a lot of shooter bucks in the area. im also hoping to put that bear tag to use that new york gives you. so having the .450 will help me with that.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hey man, use that .450 Bushmaster, have fun, knock down some deer and don't pay any attention to of those who might say that is to much gun. It will be perfect!!! :) Let us know if you get anything with it. :):)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh, you know i will. on another forum i brought up bringing an AR in the woods, and the caliber. one guy told me "thats too much caliber for deer". my reply was along the lines of muzzle loaders being too big then. but nobody frowns upon them. haha, i love ignorance.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
no experience with a .450 bushmaster i'm sure it can do the job though, deer are not big animals, i'd say as long as your within 100 yards you should be ok after that your gonna need to estimate for drop. i'm from new york, i'm gonna be hunting with a custom .45-70 this year with buffalo bore rounds. Where in new york?
Greg,

You must be thinking of a completely different cartridge because the 450BM is flat enough for POA-shooting out to 200 yards, without question. In most whitetail woods, that covers about 90% of the shots you'll ever get. There is little doubt that a 250-grain, 45-caliber bullet will perform well on deer, since ML hunters use them to harvest tens of thousands of deer, each fall.

Per Hornady's website:

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 200 300
2200/2686 1840/1879 1524/1289 1268/893
Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 200 300
-2.00 2.50 -3.40 -24.50

That chart didn't copy over very well, but it basically says a 450 Bushmaster, sighted in 2.5" high at 100 yards will be 3.4" low at 200, and still bringing almost 1300 ft/lbs of energy. A 200 yard deer gun if ever I saw one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
ill be hunting mostly alleghany county. but i may venture up to livingston. my father in laws parents have land up there, as well as one of his friends. if i go to livingston ill need to borrow a shotgun, but thats no big deal. mostly ill be using my .223, but i want to use the .450 also.

man, i cant wait till regular opener. my father in law is moving stands, tells me the bucks are chasing does, lots of movement, and a lot of shooter bucks in the area. im also hoping to put that bear tag to use that new york gives you. so having the .450 will help me with that.
thats right by the alleghany state park area, bears are all over new york now, years ago they were only by you, my me (catskills) and adirondacks. Their spreading all over, which is a good thing, it's good for the deer to have some competition and some predators, keeps the deer healthier they gotta stay on their toes. There are some big bears here bro, every year people in my area shoot atleast a handful of 500-650 pounders

·
Registered
224 Posts
Greg,

You must be thinking of a completely different cartridge because the 450BM is flat enough for POA-shooting out to 200 yards, without question. In most whitetail woods, that covers about 90% of the shots you'll ever get. There is little doubt that a 250-grain, 45-caliber bullet will perform well on deer, since ML hunters use them to harvest tens of thousands of deer, each fall.

Per Hornady's website:

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 200 300
2200/2686 1840/1879 1524/1289 1268/893
Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 200 300
-2.00 2.50 -3.40 -24.50

That chart didn't copy over very well, but it basically says a 450 Bushmaster, sighted in 2.5" high at 100 yards will be 3.4" low at 200, and still bringing almost 1300 ft/lbs of energy. A 200 yard deer gun if ever I saw one.
maybe i didn't word myself correctly i meant out to 200 yards it's good, you don't have to tell me man i'm a life long new yorkers, i grew up hunting in the woods of the catskills and even 200 yards i consider a far shot up herefor deer thast definately adequate. It wouldn't be my preferred choice for big blackies unless I had a partner with a bigger gun like ATLEAST a 12 gauge shotgun with a 1 oz slug atleast 1700 fps. Not saying it wouldn't kill a blackie, but a big one charging you need more than a 250 grain bullet to stop in it's tracks depending on shot placement.

·
Registered
224 Posts
more gun is better then less gun, all those girlie men that shoot deer with .223's and .270's are just afraid of recoil. Besides it's not fair to the animal that it must suffer, with some of those 30 caliber rifles the bullet is just too small to end the animal quickly and painlessly. I'd rather take my 300 or 400 grain .45-70 slug and it die without even knowing what happened

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
more gun is better then less gun, all those girlie men that shoot deer with .223's and .270's are just afraid of recoil. Besides it's not fair to the animal that it must suffer, with some of those 30 caliber rifles the bullet is just too small to end the animal quickly and painlessly. I'd rather take my 300 or 400 grain .45-70 slug and it die without even knowing what happened
Well, that makes even less sense than your uneducated remark about the 450BM being a 100 yard gun, or wanting a backup if you were using it for bears. Only girlie men need backup when hunting black bears with ANY gun. Our soldiers go into battle with 223's, so they clearly aren't girlie men. When it comes to quick and painless death, a 270 will yank the earth out from under a deer just as fast as a 45-70. You speak as though there is more than one degree of dead, or maybe you exercised your elbow a bit too much, last night.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Take your 450BM and have a great day. The .458 Socom will be coming out this next week in IN. We do not have bears in northern parts of the state but will be deer hunting.:):)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, that makes even less sense than your uneducated remark about the 450BM being a 100 yard gun, or wanting a backup if you were using it for bears. Only girlie men need backup when hunting black bears with ANY gun. Our soldiers go into battle with 223's, so they clearly aren't girlie men. When it comes to quick and painless death, a 270 will yank the earth out from under a deer just as fast as a 45-70. You speak as though there is more than one degree of dead, or maybe you exercised your elbow a bit too much, last night.
a .450 bushmaster is not going to stop any kind of bear charge unless its a 1 or 2 year old. Killing a bear and stopping a charge are 2 seperate things. An enraged sow or a terrirotorial boar is not going to respond to a 55 grain bullet from a .223, it will only respond to heavy lead at high velocities

I've shot a deer with a .270 and it ran a good 100 yards before dying. I hit em right in the heart there was blood everywhere... it has no stopping power, which is what you need for dangerous game such as big black bears.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
:eek::eek::eek: Please pass the popcorn, It's just gettin' good!!:D:D:D

·
Registered
993 Posts
a .450 bushmaster is not going to stop any kind of bear charge unless its a 1 or 2 year old. Killing a bear and stopping a charge are 2 seperate things. An enraged sow or a terrirotorial boar is not going to respond to a 55 grain bullet from a .223, it will only respond to heavy lead at high velocities

I've shot a deer with a .270 and it ran a good 100 yards before dying. I hit em right in the heart there was blood everywhere... it has no stopping power, which is what you need for dangerous game such as big black bears.
I shot a bear coming straight up a trail for me in thick cover with 30-30 and a 180gr corelokt hitting him at 35 yards and it stopped him and he was between 350 and 400 pounds. Stopped a 500 pound lion in Tanzania hitting it a 25 yds with a 180gr Partition out of a 30-06 and put in down. So what is your point?? The 450 bushmaster would be more than enough to stop a Black bear charge. If my 30-30 did so can the bushmaster 450. Stopped a boar hog in north Mississippi charging me and my son with a 44mag and that hog was one big mean hog. Three times in my 35 yrs of hunting I have been charged and stopped the animal every time. Were you charged by an animal and the gun you were using not enough for the job and that is why you are assuming the 450 Bushmaster won't stop a black bear charge?

·
Banned
199 Posts
Hey there Zachalilies!

Take it from someone who knows, your .450 Bushmaster will harvest deer for many years to come. Most charging bear (unless it's a sow protecting its young), will be not only be startled by the sound of the gun, but once hit, will at least slow the charge down, or stop. If the .450 cal is placed properly at a close range it does have ample stopping power for a black bear in particular.

Now charging brown, polar, and Kodiak bears are potentially a whole different topic. However, as stated previously, with proper bullet placement the .450 BM can be a very effective round on most North American prey.

So take that weapon, and take that deer, with absolutely, nothing to fear! :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, this is gettin awesome. can i get some popcorn? who drank the hatorade? look at ballistics. most .45-70 loads are pushing 1330FPS and 1590Ft/Lbs. ill let you figure out if thats higher or lower than the .450BM ballistics(ill give you a hint, its not). thats from remington. the only load i found more powerful than the bushmaster(in .45-70 at least) was the hornady leverevolution ammo. and it wasnt impressivley higher. so whats this about heavy lead at high velocities? cuz im not seeing it. and even if you load your own, and use hard cast lead, you dont want to push them too fast because theyll more than likely just dissintegrate on impact. is that better than controlled expansion from a flex-tip expanding bullet? no hints on that one.

as far as the .223 goes, we(army, marine corps, airforce and navy) have hunted the most dangerous game on this planet with that round. our fellow man. and i am going to harvest a deer with it this year, just as i did last year.

just for conversations sake, please, please, please tell me why the .270(hailed by some as the greatest deer/elk round ever devised) is not what it appears to be. i just want to hear your take on it.

so, to sum this up, i am taking the .450BM out, il will use it to take deer, and bear if need be. deer arent as thick as some people think. and bear will drop from this round if i put it where it needs to go. and if a puny(just kidding) .30-30 can do it, why cant a bullet much larger do it? but i do appreciate the positive feed back. thanks for all the good information.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Greg,

It's all about shot placement. I live and have hunted in the Northern Adirondacks for 40+ years. My favorite hunting rifle for whitetails is my Marlin 444, which is a personal preference...not better or worse than any other appropriate cartridge. In addition to the couple of dozen deer that I have harvested with the triple four (BTB & RD 290gr H/C bullets), I have taken probably 25+ deer with the .270 and the "just too small" 30 caliber rifles (30-30, 308, 30-06) and a lot of them piled-up, DRT. Generally, shots are at less than 75 yards, most have been at 40-50 yards and I try for a neck shot. A good neck shot piles them up right there.

I don't intentionally go bear hunting, but since the bear tag is part of the NYS package, I will take one (unless I see cubs.....don't want cubs to be w/o a momma) and I have taken two. The first one, at 400#, I took with a Nosler Partition from my Marlin 30-30 (one in the chamber, one in the tube). Hit him in the boiler room, he dropped right there. The second one, I actually dropped with a .243 while I was coyote hunting from a tree stand. It was getting late (Miller Time) and he just kept nosing around the bottom of the tree. Being late, I needed to get out of the woods; so, when he was still, I put one in his head....he nosed-in right there. A big one that people estimated at 450#.

My point is that it's all about shot placement. I typically hunt alone and with the 444, 270, 30-30, 30-06, 308, etc., I personally don't feel under-gunned for any deer or black bear in NYS, including a charging black bear. I have seen a LOT of black bears over the years while in the Adirondack woods, but mostly their butts as they go the other way poste haste....they are really a shy animal that don't want anything to do with humans. Not to say that you can't put yourself in a position to have one charge you (a real charge, not a bluff-charge), but a good deer rifle will anchor a black bear given good shot placement. If a bear is charging and intent on chewing on you, a poor placed shot with even a 450NE may not keep you off the menu.

Best,
Dan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and you know what? i just got to thinking. have deer in america morphed into elephant sized game over night? im not taking the .450BM because i think i need it. im taking it becasue i want to. but ive been hearing alot of people talk about their primary deer rifle is along the lines of the 416 rigby, 375H&H, who needs that as their primary gun? for deer? i have taken deer with a .223, never felt under gunned. and like you dan, im not going out bear hunting, but they are everywhere and if one comes between me and my way out of the woods, he'll get a 250GR flex tip sent his way.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts

Greg, what are you talking about?

The 450 Bushmaster shoots a 250 grain, 45 caliber bullet, at 2200fps. Why are you talking about a 55gr .223" bullet? The 450BM shoots the very same "heavy lead at high velocity" that you recommend! In the highly unlikely event of a real black bear charge, I can think of few deer-appropriate cartridges I would rather have in my hands than a 450 Bushmaster.

To the OP - Enjoy your cartridge, harvest a nice buck and drop a charging bear, just to show your gun is up to it! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.