Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It still works for deer. 8 point bucks to be exact.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I guess that means that a 30-30 rifle can kill up to an 8 point deer.
Any news regarding its ability to down a ten point or better?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
wow, i'm shocked, i never thought it woud get away from 4pts(eastern count). i should take my model94 out for monday.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So I guess that means that a 30-30 rifle can kill up to an 8 point deer.
Any news regarding its ability to down a ten point or better?
I don't know brother, a 10 point deer is basically an elk. Everybody knows 30-30 bullets bounce off an elk. ;)

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
This thread is useless without pictures! :D

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Your breaking news has been breaking since 1894 when this rifle/caliber combination was introduced! Here in Northern Michigan we can have bucks in the 200lb.Plus range and the 30-30 has cleanly killed them with no problems.The biggest problem is the range limitation of the cartridge.Keep it within 125yards and you have a deer killin machine!Only 170gr bullets here in upper Michigan,but they keep workin for over 100 years with great success.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The little 336 worked wonderfully as it always has. It was an 8 pt eastern count (i.e. 8 total points). The deer had a pretty big body. It was around a 60 yard shot right through sweet spot. I didn't get any pics. I really just made my post as a comment that the old stuff (including me I guess!) still works just fine. I just love that rifle and the cartridge.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
No pictures? :(

Back about 20 years ago, I shot an exotic species of ram with a bow and arrow...that's another story, but the buddy I was hunting with insisted on getting some good pictures of it. I had no inclination to do so, as my family and I had never taken anything more than a single Polaroid for any of our successful hunt.

Well, when I got a copy of those pictures from my buddy, in the mail, I couldn't have been more happy. To this day, I have several of those pictures and they really take me back; I remember the details of that hunt better than many others, because I have such vivid reminders. Since then, I've gotten a bit obsessive about the taking of pictures during any hunt, successful or not. With today's digital cameras and the very good cameras found in many smart phones, I just can't imagine a time when I wouldn't capture those memories. It's easier and less expensive than ever to have photographic proof of great times; something you can pass down to future generations.

I was taking some pictures on Thursday afternoon. My son and I finished Thanksgiving dinner and went out to shoot his great-grandfather's Marlin 336, in 30/30 Win. That gun shot very well and it made both of us smile to see the groups it printed...and I've got the pictures to prove it! :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was actually looking at some different camera packages and have thought about really getting into the hobby. I usually do capture most of my hunts even if it is just with a pocket or phone camera. kind of got wrapped up in getting the deer dressed and out before I even thought about it this time. Weather wasn't an issue either. It was about 25 and sunny. Would have made a beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing about your Thanksgiving. My daughter is going to get my 336 some day. That is one that better stay in the family!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The little 336 worked wonderfully as it always has. It was an 8 pt eastern count (i.e. 8 total points). The deer had a pretty big body. It was around a 60 yard shot right through sweet spot. I didn't get any pics. I really just made my post as a comment that the old stuff (including me I guess!) still works just fine. I just love that rifle and the cartridge.
Congrats on a nice deer RifleFan. Just giving you a little gas on the count (west vs east thing). I to like my 30-30, Winchester 94. Around here the 30-30 has taken lots of deer, elk and antelope, to mention a few. Among the guys I hunted with over the years, the 30-30, 30-06 and 308 were probably the top calibers used for just about all big game until the magnum and long list of others came along.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
No pictures? :(

Back about 20 years ago, I shot an exotic species of ram with a bow and arrow...that's another story, but the buddy I was hunting with insisted on getting some good pictures of it. I had no inclination to do so, as my family and I had never taken anything more than a single Polaroid for any of our successful hunt.

Well, when I got a copy of those pictures from my buddy, in the mail, I couldn't have been more happy. To this day, I have several of those pictures and they really take me back; I remember the details of that hunt better than many others, because I have such vivid reminders. Since then, I've gotten a bit obsessive about the taking of pictures during any hunt, successful or not. With today's digital cameras and the very good cameras found in many smart phones, I just can't imagine a time when I wouldn't capture those memories. It's easier and less expensive than ever to have photographic proof of great times; something you can pass down to future generations.

I was taking some pictures on Thursday afternoon. My son and I finished Thanksgiving dinner and went out to shoot his great-grandfather's Marlin 336, in 30/30 Win. That gun shot very well and it made both of us smile to see the groups it printed...and I've got the pictures to prove it! :)
This is a good point taking pictures is as much of the hunt as hiking to me and my hunting party.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts