Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like odd things, so while the 783 may be a budget rifle, and kinda cheesy in stock form, I decided to use one as the base for a precision build. I received one as a gift some years back in .308, and it actually was quite an accurate gun. The barrel wasn't that great of course but it wasn't a bad rifle by any means, and lastly it was free. I decided to go with Preferred Barrel Blanks match barrel.

I chose a 24" full bull profile in stainless with a matte finish, then chose a 5R Twist 1-10, and a thread on brake. I shipped my bare action to them and let them do the install, and received everything back in around 6 weeks.

I then chose an MDT XRS Chassis, with 10 round box mag, and topped it off with a Vortex 5-25x56 Venom scope in MOA. I really prefer MRAD, but it was priced right, and I can use both, so no matter i suppose.

As i'm currently nursing a hand injury, i've yet to shoot it, but looking forward to seeing how it performs soon.

Bumper Air gun Trigger Automotive tire Machine gun

Light Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Road surface Bicycle fork

Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Automotive tire Flooring

Bumper Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior Gadget

Automotive tire Trigger Bumper Automotive exterior Shotgun

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Asphalt Bumper Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera lens Bumper Machine tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Bumper Office equipment Automotive exterior Electronic instrument Automotive wheel system

Registered
Very nice. Interesting idea and rifle. It will likely meet your expectations, but I'd worry most about the action itself. No, it will be just fine for accuracy and shooting, but it's known for breaking extractors. While typically a small issue, the 783 has been dead for years and worse, so is Remington.

I'd suggest you look for a replacement or two now before they become completely extinct. If I'm not mistaken, they are the same as the very similar (copied?) Marlin XL7 and XS7.

Best of luck with your new build 馃憤

The Shadow (Moderator)
The 783 is the X7 series, for all intents and purposes. The only time I broke an extractor, was when I had a case head let go during some testing. Which if Brownell's doesn't have the extractor, whatever you do; don't file on a Savage extractor and get back in the game.;):LOL:
Savage small shank barrels and nuts are also interchangeable items, if you want to change calibers in the future without paying someone for knowing lefty-loosey; righty-tighty.

Beautiful build, btw.:)

Cheers

Reactions: JWSmith1959

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. Interesting idea and rifle. It will likely meet your expectations, but I'd worry most about the action itself. No, it will be just fine for accuracy and shooting, but it's known for breaking extractors. While typically a small issue, the 783 has been dead for years and worse, so is Remington.

I'd suggest you look for a replacement or two now before they become completely extinct. If I'm not mistaken, they are the same as the very similar (copied?) Marlin XL7 and XS7.

Best of luck with your new build 馃憤
I agree, and only reason was I had it laying around, and in stock form its an ergonomic wreck, plus the factory plastic stock was so cheap it drove me nuts. As for parts, you're not kidding, as its like pulling teeth. I really like the quality of the MDT stock, and plan on doing another soon. I was going to do a 700, but shopping around, there's some really nice standalone precision actions out there that are not as expensive as I would have thought. 700 actions are not price too badly, but every hardcore Remington guy I know claims the late model stuff is terrible inferior to the older years. Any truth to that?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 783 is the X7 series, for all intents and purposes. The only time I broke an extractor, was when I had a case head let go during some testing. Which if Brownell's doesn't have the extractor, whatever you do; don't file on a Savage extractor and get back in the game.;):LOL:
Savage small shank barrels and nuts are also interchangeable items, if you want to change calibers in the future without paying someone for knowing lefty-loosey; righty-tighty.

Beautiful build, btw.:)

Cheers
Thank You, and I appreciate the advice as well. I've tried a few firearms forums out there and I have to say this one has some of the nicest members. Some of these forums are terrible, and no matter what you post they'd say its junk, and dare you ask a question and its stupid as am I for asking etc. With that thanks again!

Premium Member
I have a complete 783 bolt 'extra', in case you need one. PM me if so.

Premium Member
Standard bolt face. Maybe fired one time. It was part of a case years ago. I have no idea what rifle it came from or where it is.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Standard bolt face. Maybe fired one time. It was part of a case years ago. I have no idea what rifle it came from or where it is.
They came in a multitude of short and long action calibers though. do you have a photo? It could be a short action .473 or long action .532 or even .375 if it was a .223 bolt.
I'm interested I just need to make sure its a .473 for it to fit my receiver. Also what are you asking for it?
Heres' a pic of mine, stamped 1274, not sure if that means anything or not.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Automotive tire Bumper Personal protective equipment Tints and shades Synthetic rubber

Wood Gas Tool Metal Revolver

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NO doubt .473 bolt face. Looks to be 5.175-5.200 from face of bolt handle to rear surface of locking lugs. $100 and I'll pay to mail it.
That sounds good, just let me measure mine real quick and I鈥檒l get back to you here shortly and work something out. I鈥檒l message you directly.

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure all the 783 bolt bodies were the same. Magazines and bolt faces were different.

Registered
Nice looking build. Congrats and hope it shoots good for you.

I did a 20 Practical build on a R783 in 223, used a X-Caliber brand barrel which is a sister company to Preferred IIRC. Used the OEM magazine, no other changes other than a Boyd's stock. The mag and the stock don't get along very well as it's a bit difficult to "lock" the magazine into the stock when it's loaded, and can only load 3 rds in the mag. I usually single feed rounds but with the small ejection port on the 783, I use the mag and move along.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice looking build. Congrats and hope it shoots good for you.

I did a 20 Practical build on a R783 in 223, used a X-Caliber brand barrel which is a sister company to Preferred IIRC. Used the OEM magazine, no other changes other than a Boyd's stock. The mag and the stock don't get along very well as it's a bit difficult to "lock" the magazine into the stock when it's loaded, and can only load 3 rds in the mag. I usually single feed rounds but with the small ejection port on the 783, I use the mag and move along.
how was the fit with your boyds? I tried the varmint model and might as well have been for an AR15. Even the action screws would not sink deep enough to catch the threads on the action. And with Remington鈥榮 bizarre 32 pitch screw that鈥檚 proprietary to the 783 finding longer ones was impossible. I want to making so many modifications. It was almost comical and ultimately got pissed, often literally through it in the fire pit. this was my experience, yet I鈥檝e read others reviews that raved about them, so perhaps I got one that was cut wrong.
Fortunately, that was there, cheepy stock, and I only paid around 150 for it.

The Shadow (Moderator)
Marlin branding, the Boyd's fit just fine after opening the barrel channel to accept the monster I screwed on it.

Sky Auto part Cannon Gas Metal

Sky Wheel Automotive tire Self-propelled artillery Cloud

Registered
how was the fit with your boyds? I tried the varmint model and might as well have been for an AR15. Even the action screws would not sink deep enough to catch the threads on the action. And with Remington鈥榮 bizarre 32 pitch screw that鈥檚 proprietary to the 783 finding longer ones was impossible. I want to making so many modifications. It was almost comical and ultimately got pissed, often literally through it in the fire pit. this was my experience, yet I鈥檝e read others reviews that raved about them, so perhaps I got one that was cut wrong.
Fortunately, that was there, cheepy stock, and I only paid around 150 for it.
I had to use a thin/generic washer for the front action screw to get enough space to prevent the action screw from bottoming out which is where the mag inserts as well. I put a heavy varmint weight barrel on mine, so I had to remove a decent amount of material from the barrel channel. The inletting around the action was decent, but still took some fine tuning to get it like I wanted. Once the mag is "locked" in, it won't come out on it's own, so that's a good thing. I shoot from a bench at the varmints, so it's just annoying, not a deal breaker IMO.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nice Looking Rifle ED, Let me know how the Preferred Barrel shoots, I have been wanting to try one of their blanks, Just not sure about them yet.
Tomorows the day, my hand I believe has recovered enough and i'm ready! I'm confident at a hundred it will be sub minute but we wll see.I'll report back, and hopefully i will be good results. If his works out well I'll build one on a respected action. My love however is seeing wha I can get with budget actions.

My love for precision shooting, comes from the heart, I look at myself with modern tech, and years of LE training and can't help but wonder about Carlos Hathcock and look at what he accomplished with the tech of the day , what could he have taught me? what could he have done with modern equipment. I was but a child at the time, but his legend will alwasy inspire, as will all the true champions, that are the fathers of long range skills, For all those stiill with us that suffered that useless conflict, Vietnamn, know that you are all my heroes and your bravery will live in my heart forever. for every low life that mocked you on your return, never forget there were equally as many that that loved you. And though I did not serve in wartime , I thank those of you that guided be through my years in LE and with you wisdom kept me safe. God Bless My Friends

1 - 20 of 20 Posts