Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a riflescope for my father with improved light transmission over the Leupold VX2 3-9 x 40mm as he told me that he wanted a brighter scope. Based on my budget I am thinking about either the Leupold VX2 3-9 x 50mm or the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x 40mm.

Leupold’s 50mm may gather more light though I’ve read that the Zeiss has better glasses, which results in a brighter scope under low light conditions.

What would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
If I might be so bold, in what way was the VX2 lacking? I've done many scope comparisons that have included both those scopes in some of them. If the problem is with clarity or light transfer (relative brightness) the better scope IMO is the Zeiss (as already said above).

If the problem is one of losing the reticle on the animal in low light, then I'd recommend neither of those two and suggest, rather, a VX-R with Firedot #4 or Firedot Duplex which will allow the reticle (dot) to be seen in any conditions that allow the animal to be identified in the scope. Read that as IN VERY LOW LIGHT.

Reactions: MontyF

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've never owned one and doubt I ever will but a guy at the range I use had two new rifles he had just built and was shooting them for the first time, both had Schmidt & Bender scopes on them. One was a 5-25x56 PM mounted and a 223 and the other was a 12-50x56 PM mounted on a 338 Lapua, both had 34mm tubes.

It was almost dusk but I have forgotten my target stands at the 500 yard berm and was going back to get them, and he was there shooting when I got back. He stopped so I could drive down and get my stands and come back. Naturally, seeing what I knew where some high dollar build tactical rifles on the bench when I got back, I had to ask about them. He told me he shot tactical competitions and these were his two newest rifles. He let me shoot both of them and I will have to say, those scopes were amazing. I still had rifles in my truck with a Sightron S-III 8-32x56 and NightForce 5-25x56 (the best scope I have). I set both of those up and did side by side comparisons and neither would match the clarity of those S&B's. The KnightForce is better than my Sightron, but not in the same league as those two of his. However, one of his scopes cost more than both of mine combined. It was dark enough that targets at 100 yards were fuzzy with my KnightForce and almost gone with my Sightron but clearly visible and sharp with both of his.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Based on some age related problems of my own, I'd suggest your father see a good eye doctor and look for early onset cataracts. You can have them for years and they aren't really bad enough to realize that your eyes might be causing some of your vision problems. He may have good sight and this doesn't apply but I can tell you that I know a lot of guys who've had them diagnosed and can still see pretty good but things just don't look bright anymore.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I can vouch for that, I am one of those guys. 68 years old, still have 20/20 far vision, which is half what it was before I turned 55, but need some help reading. I have been told for years I have cataracts but not bad enough to operate on them, and everything now always seems to have a haze over it, but every year my ophthalmologist tells me they are still growing, are not that bad and I should wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts