Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been Thinking about getting a brockman's front sight with tritium but i'm having trouble deciding on whether to go with the winged or non winged sight. My rear sight will be an XS low weaver ghost ring sight which I will mount at the end of my xs lever rail. It will be used for dangerous game hunting at short ranges (200 yards tops) on my .45-70. The reason i'm having trouble making the decision to go winged or not is i'm wondering if having the wings will create distractions and obscure the target... I'll have more crap to focus on instead of just the sight post itself. Is this the case or am I just over-thinking?? Thanks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I can't see how the wings would be any kind of distraction, the protection they provide is well worth it. When looking through a peep all you will see is the sight blade. It would be a good idea to contact XS/Brockman to see if the sights are compatable with each other. Tell them what load you are using. I had to replace the front sight supplied with my Williams set up to work with my load. 200 yards is very long rang for a 45-70 with peep sights, personally I would (and I do) use a rear sight that mounts at the rear scope base mount for the longest sight radius.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. well I only plan on using the iron sights as back ups at 100 yards or less. My primary optic would be an aimpoint in 2 moa, which I have yet to purchase. I shoot buffalo bores 405 [email protected] out of a 22" non ported barrel. I agree 200 yards is far, not something i'm comfortable doing with open sights. I don't see why they wouldn't fit, their both adjustable for elevation so I can just elevate one or the other until they work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts