Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that Browning has introduced a straight-pull action rifle. I was wondering if any of you has had a chance to examine or shoot one. If you have what is your opinion of it? It is shown on the Browing web site.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Erick,

There is an article that describes the new straight pull rifle from Browning in the latest Rifle magazine, by Clair Rees.  He seemed to get along with it okey, but I thought it was kind of ugly.  I may be just a traditionalist at heart.

dclark

·
Banned
554 Posts
It's basically the BAR action with the gas assembly removed for DIY loading.  Pretty ugly, too.  It's aimed at countries that don't allow semi-autos -  many euro and aftrican countries and of course, Pennsylvania.

Charlie

·
Banned
176 Posts
You do not have to go that far to find a country that does not allow autoloaders. Canada has prohibitions against centerfire autos. Is the PA ban only for hunting or have they left the Union and ban auto ownership? Not that it matters, since rifles are supposed to have bolts that turn or levers to flick.

Fireplug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I agree that rifle is on the ugly side. I also saw an old sweedish military rifle that was a sraight pull. As far as auto rifles go in PA I believe thay are only banned for hunting but you can still own them.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Fireplug:
   The Liberal government won't allow non-residents to bring in semi-auto rifles, but Canadian citizens can own centre-fires (for now) if the magazine is limited to 5 shots, the barrel is 18.5" or over and total length is 26" or over (no folding stocks). There's no mag. cap limit for .22s. Actually the previous Conservative gov't is responsible for most of this nonsense.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here in Pa, semi-auto rifles and pistols are banned for hunting, but can be otherwise owned.  Semi shotguns are allowed for hunting.  Does that bother me?  Nope.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Penn's semiauto and black-powder (as long as sparks are from a rock) hunting rules are designed to keep the sport in hunting.  Pretty good sense.

Other countries assume insurrection, so you get straight-pull "autos", etc.  Ruger went on a promo hunt in Africa for the .44 carbine in the 60's and had to "fix" it into a straight pull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts