Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to purchase a new hunting rifle. This will be my first high powered rifle. I am leaning toward a 30-06 caliber, unless someone on here talks me out of it.

I've also looked at the Marlin XL7 and the Ruger M77. One of my best friends has the Ruger in a 30-06 and it is a nice looking rifle and he is deadly accurate with it.

I like the looks of the browing x-bolt hunter the best.

Does anyone on here have any experience with any of these rifles? It looks like i can get the Remington or the Browning for about $725.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
if you like the browning then buy it... they are one of the nicest rifles out there. i had an a-bolt in 25/06 about 15yrs ago that would consistantly put 5 shots in about 3/4''. i have no experience with the x-bolt but i wouldn't hesitate to buy one if i found one in a caliber that i wanted.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The X bolts are nice (although they have "made in Japan" stamped on the barrel}. They have a button on the bolt that allows you to open the bolt without taking the safety off and their triggers are adjustable (although the Remington will probably be adjustable too).

I personally like the looks of the a bolt over the x bolt and I really dont like the triangular barrel of the xhr. I would rethink the 30-06 though. If you dont want a magnum, look into the 270 win. If you dont mind a little extra kick, try the 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag.

I have an a bolt in 270wsm that I really like. Again, Im not happy about the location that they are made but you have to overlook a few things from time to time.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have two Browning A Bolts that are great shooters and I'm sure the X bolt is also a great shooter. I like the Remington 700 CDL and I like it a lot but I'm not two excited about the barrel on the XHR either. Remington makes an excellent rifle and I've always liked the 700 series.

Caliber wise I think the 30-06 is a great caliber and my Son Jim hunts with it and gets more game from Elk to Deer in our group with it. It will kill anything in North America with the right bullet weight selection and there is a large selection of bullet weights available for it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My preference leans toward the Browning over the Remington. Which rifle fits you best? Especially with hunting clothes on. The 30-06 just might be the most versatile load around. The list of factory loads is incredible. I shoot a Tikka 270wsm. I love it. It fits me and shoots very, very well. Find the gun that fits you best. Take a look at a Savage. They shoot extremely well and are priced nicely. Savage was second on my list. But, I got a great deal on a stainless Tikka and I couldn't pass it up. There's a lot of really great rifles out there. Find one you like and make sure it fits you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'd go with a Browning for sure. IMHO nothing can touch a Browning quality-wise for the money until you step up into a Sako or similar rifle. No experience with the X-Bolt but I have an A-bolt that I would put up against any factory rifle.

JTH

·
Registered
620 Posts
Also, dont underestimate the usefulness of the 60 degree bolt throw on a Browning. Rugers are nice and Rems not so much but I have found I get sick of knocking knuckles on the scope every time I throw the bolt on one of those. Just some food for thought.

·
Banned
421 Posts
You just can't go wrong with a Browning. They make one of the very best production rifles available. The only way you can do better is to buy a custom rifle IMO. Also, 30-06 is the most versatile round available. As already mentioned, you can take anything on the continent with it. It has the widest choice of bullet weights and loads available off the shelf. The only caution is the recoil can be a bit harsh, especially with the heavier bullet weights. For that reason, I shoot a 270. Very close performance, with much less recoil. I would not hunt brown bear with my 270 though, and I would use a 30-06 on them. Think about what you want to hunt, then make your choice.
Good luck, and don't forget to come back and show us pictures after you make your choice. Have fun, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I have 2 A-bolts. Never owned a Remington. I like my A-bolts a whole lot. I also really like Rugers, but that's not one you asked about.

FWIW, a recent issue of Gun Tests compared an X-bolt Medallion, Rem 700 CDL, Ruger Hawkeye stainless/laminated, and ...I've forgotten the 4th gun right at the moment. Anyway, the Browning won the comparison. They rated it very highly, and it's a recommended buy from them. The Remington didn't fare as well as the other guns in terms of accuracy. You only asked about those 2 brands, so the rest of the test isn't much value, I suppose. Mind you, Gun Tests only tests 1 of each gun they compare, though they do use several types of ammunition in each to try to get a good comparison for accuracy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Thank you everyone.

I can't justify buying a 7mm Rem Mag as the guns i'm looking at only have 24" barrels and I read somewhere you need like 28" to see much difference in the 7mm vs. the 30-06. Plus the OTC ammo will cost like 50% more from what little research I did...

I looked at a Savage with the Accutrigger the other day and I have to say I was very impressed with the trigger. I am going to shoot my friends A-bolt sometime soon and his dad has a Remington Model 700 he said I could shoot too. I'm very excited. :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Also, dont underestimate the usefulness of the 60 degree bolt throw on a Browning. Rugers are nice and Rems not so much but I have found I get sick of knocking knuckles on the scope every time I throw the bolt on one of those. Just some food for thought.

Then you should go with the pioneers of short bolt throws. Weatherby. Then you get the 54º bolt throw.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have no experience with the Browning X bolt, but I do have some with their A bolt. The guys at our range who have the new X bolt seem to like them. I also do not know about the Remington XHR model, but I am a Remington 700 fan.
I have always been able to get my 700's to shot extremely well with glass bedding, and reloading. My A bolts have not been so responsive to my tinkering.
I have been thinning down my collection, (sold my Weatherby MKV Accumark, and 2 new model Winchester Model 70s). Right now I own and shoot more Remington's than any other brand, but it is something I am familiar with.

·
Registered
410 Posts
IMO Browning's quality is very high for the money ( nice wood, deep bluing, nice machining) and I have no expirience with how they shoot. I just can't get past the "made in Japan". I know this is not a good reason to not own one or banish it from my future purchases but it is what it is. I had a new BAR in a 338 and was very disappointed. Ended up with a hairline crack in the receiver and it never fed ammo well from day one. I have had numerous Belgian A-5's which were awesome shotguns and still own one. Very nicely made.
I think your chances of getting a good shooter are better with a Remington.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts