Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i am planing a brown bear hunt up in alaska for next year and i am shooting a 300 win mag i was just wondering if the nosler factory loaded 200 GR accubond would be enough to take one of those big boys down or should i step up and reload the horandy 220 GR round nose they say it tough enough for any game just needing some help so let me know what you guys think and no i am not steeping up in gun size thanks again

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I would think it would depend on the guide and how the hunt is suppose to go. You know, yardage and terrain and such. I ain't never done it and never will but there are many on here that have and a search will turn up lots of stuff.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Definitely talk to your guide, but the short answer is: If you do your part, there's no doubt either slug, from a 300WM, will get the job done. If you're afraid that isn't enough bullet, then the 220 won't be, either. A certain famous gun writer killed 8 grizzlies with an '06 and 200 grain pills, so I imagine the extra velocity from a 300 Winnie would only help improve on that success.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Tanman-83, I have loaded 220 and 250 grain bullet up for the .300 Win mag! I simply believe that "bigger is better" when it comes to animals like Big Bears. Sure you can kill em with smaller bullets but I like the idea of knowing what my bullet will do once it hits bone and how will it react etc. Not to mention the penetration factor, I want it to penetrate very deep. There are a lot of very good premium bullets on the market to serve your purpose intended. I myself like those Swift A Frame bullets, they have done well by me and always make a perfect mushroom and retain over 94% of their original bullet weight.:)

·
Banned
490 Posts

This is the 14 1/2 year old brown bear I killed on Admiralty Island in SE Alaska in the spring of 1987. I used a .300 Weatherby with the 200 grain Nosler Partition loaded to 2900 fps. The bear was about 130 yards away when the first shot hit just behind the shoulder, broadside. It wrecked both lungs and exited the off side. The bear turned and started running towards the woods, so I fired again. The bullet struck and broke the right rear leg, angled through the paunch and liver, and came to rest under the hide after about 3 1/2 feet of penetration. The recovered bullet was a classic mushroom and weighed 135 grains.

The picture was taken in 1988. I weighed about 350 when it was taken...happily I am quite a bit smaller now. The bear is still the same size, though. Also, he still has all of his hair, but I have lost a lot of mine.

I have no experience with the Accubond, but I imagine it would work fine. I have extreme confidence in the Partition. If I were you, I would load up with either the 200 or 220 grain Partition and go bear hunting. Personally, I think the single best dangerous game bullet in .30 caliber today would be the 220 grain Nosler Partition.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My dad took a nice grizzly in 1972 or so with a 300 WM with one shot using a 150 grn bullet. I'm sure it was a C & C bullet, probably a Core Lokt or Power Point.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
If it were I, then I would load one of the following bullet, TSX or TTSX, Partition, Trophy Bonded, Noth Fork. In 180 grain for all but the Partition and ther I would use the 200 or 220 grain bullet

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would stick to 180's or 200's myself.........something tough like an A-Frame or Partition. The short neck of the .300 Win will have you losing considearble powder capacity with 220's.

Just my $.02. ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have studied terminal bullet preformance for years. I dont have any experence with Accubonds but have nothing but praise for the Partions. Many times heavy roundnose bullets were of light constuction for older cartridges like the 30-40. I have shot a mule deer with a 220 grn Rem core-loct from a 30-06 and got marginal penatration however when recovered it was a classic mushroom. Also a friend took a cow elk with same combo with again marginal penatration. From my experence with deer and elk I would opt for 200 grn Nosler Partions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Take a look at Barnes, they are more expensive, but (admittedly i don't speak from first hand experience) they have a reputation of mushrooming out to over double their size, and retaining 100% of their weight, even when going through bone, if your not familiar with Barnes, it's due to their lead free construction, that they can retain their weight, maybe someone with more experience can provide more information?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used to use 180grn. Barnes moly yrs. back in my .300 win mag and it worked rather well with grizz.....biggest grizz I've shot at or one of em was about 100yds away....bullet busted the shoulder and exited behind the off....lots of blood, lung, meat and fat on the ground. Them coastal bears are abit more "dense" in weight and mass from my limited knowledge and experience...but in close a 200 grain would work well. Don't know anything of the Accubombs but have used 200 Part and 220 Part with excellent penetration on grizz.

Swifts, North Fork, Barnes, Partitions and Woodleighs get my vote...bullet s.d. has got to be good for good penetration...you want a hole in and out in my book.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So long as the bullet is designed to expand and kill an animal then the grain weight and the bullet itself doesn't really matter. Putting the bullet where it needs to be is the most important thing. You can kill a bear if hit in the right spot with a FMJ but if you miss with a partition it will die. Put the bullet where it counts and you won't have an issue. By the way, never underestimate what a sidearm, any side arm, can do for you when your in tight with the brush and a bear is near. It doesn't matter if it's a 9mm or a .500 S&W, the ability to rapidly put bullets in a bear when it's charging is of the upmost importance when it wants to eat you.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
personally i'd go with a barnes tsx or partition, woodleigh or other top end bullet. to me the accubond is all about aerodynamics and longer ranges, which in my opinion don't apply here... tough, blunt & brutal come to mind for this situation...

·
Banned
490 Posts
Your guide will not let you shoot beyond about 150 yards, I can practically guarantee that. You do not need to be concerned about long range performance. You want a bullet that will expand well and penetrate even if it hits a heavy bone. That is why I really like the heavier Partitions...they penetrate like crazy but do a LOT of damage along the way.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My Buddy and I are enroute to Alaska next month for a Black bear hunt. I was looking for some interesting loads for his .300WM and this one popped up. I think I'd want to at least try this one out, using a .300WM for Brown Bear:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/ca...d=182&osCsid=5d28c8d1f10682817004f0c598ee070e

Mike McNett loads some great products. While I haven't tried the rifle loads personally, I have many boxes of his pistol ammo. But I would put confidence in the rifle ammo as well. Double Tap is a great company to deal with.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I've never shot one, but the bullet I'd be using is a Nosler Partition if'n I were to ever hunt brown bears. I really have no desire to though.

Tang, welcome back from your extended absence! :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
My old man shot his brown bear with my 338 Win Mag and 225gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. I wouldn't have too much issue with using my 300 mag with 200gr Partitions at 2900. The 220gr Partition could be pushed to 2700+ also, which would shoot plenty flat to 300 yards, and absolutely crush a bear I would think. I think your fine, as long as you are comfortable with your rifle, and you have a capable bullet you will do fine.

Welcome back TANG.. Scotty

1 - 20 of 23 Posts