Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was suffering from the brass bead front sight of my Brownchester 1892 and was going to put an Ashley (XS) peep set on it. But, you have to drill the receiver and the front blade is kinda high. The rig looks a little out of place on a crescent butt 1892 (not that it matters too much on Japanese Winchester replica...), so I held off and just replaced the front sight with an Ashley (same height - .40" - as the original bead) as a last try. It worked!

The result was that I can now shoot the rifle as well as any open sight I've used and I haven't mucked up the gun at all. It makes a really big difference having a square blade for the square rear notch... From a rest, I was able to put 3 rounds into just over an inch @100 -- which I think is a 'lucky' group, but it does give me much greater confidence in the carbine's potential. We're still working on the freehand shooting... groups which are 'plate'-sized. Practice, practice...

They might not be as 'fast' as a good peep, but the std open sights can be as accurate. The '92 is now ready to move up in the rack to the #1 position this year.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts