Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Browning 16ga that I am guessing is an older A5. When I was a young man my parents told me that it was a "sweet sixteen". From the research I have done I disagree but would like to know someting about it. Been to the Browning site didn't help. The SN in front of the loading chamber is X188__. Can anyone tell me what year range this 16 is? The # on the barrell and the forearm match the reciever. Only other markings say 2 3/4 inch, made in belgium, brownings arms company st louis mo. It also has the safety that is in front of the trigger that sildes forward and back.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Iowaloha and nice to meet ya damrat!

I can't help you on dating your sweet sixteen or much else about it. I have worked exactly two of them to date and and felt privledged to do so. Good scatter-guns, both.

Seems to me(thus far), that all things sixteen gauge are difficult.

Parts,loads,componants,tools,and information. All difficult!

Skilled folks here from many trades. I wish you well.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
574 Posts
I believe that all of the 16 ga. Browning A-5's were referred to as Sweet Sixteens. At least that was the case growing up in my Dad's house. I can't help with dating it, but if it is a humpback browning semi-automatic, then it is an A-5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have been to the browning site and didn' understand the letters as a two digit code....x=3, don't know how that is a two digit code. does x=33? like many others more confused now then I was.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the impression that a sweet 16 has "Sweet Sixteen" embossed on the side of the receiver. Goatwhiskers

·
Registered
926 Posts
Generally the Sweet Sixteen was engraved on the left side of the reciever as such.
There were some early sixteens that were not engraved but had a gold plated trigger as all Sweet Sixteens do.

The serial number range you gave is in the 1947-1948 era, at that time Browning did not have seperate serial numbers for the Sweet Sixteen.

It was a lighter built gun than the standard 16's the barrel ring where the recoil spring presses against should have three holes drilled in it, and the reciever has extra lightening cuts made in the sides inside. You have to compare it against a standard model.

The big tipoff is a gold plated trigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your information thus far.:) The trigger is not gold plated i will check the barrell ring. I plan to start using this gun for phesant soon, any recomendations on loads that work better (for the gun not the birds)?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Two places to check out, the first is www.shotgunworld.com they have a forum for almost any shotgun made. Go to the Browning forum and you will find out more about your shotgun, really nice place.

The second place is www.16ga.com everything you wanted know about the 16 gauge.

Doesn't matter if it is not a Sweet Sixteen, still one heck of a shotgun, you won't find that kind of workmanship in present day offerings, all machined steel parts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I do have a Sweet 16 - and just got back from South Dakota where I used it on pheasants (again).
It has the words Sweet Sixteen on the receiver and a golden trigger - and weighs nearly a 1/2 pound less than a standard 16 with the same barrel.

Favorite loads for me are Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in #5 and #4 - 5's for normal use and 4's for really windy weather and/or birds that are flushing at 30+ yards. Heavy loads seem to perform best in my gun and the larger shot sizes, too with #4 being the largest it patterns well and 7 1/2 the smallest it will pattern well ( 8's just leave too many holes in the pattern). I also get good patterns with Winchester heavy loads, not much success with Federal, and decent patterns with Remington game loads ( but I don't care to use the lighter loads on anything but dove and skeet).

·
Registered
574 Posts
Generally the Sweet Sixteen was engraved on the left side of the reciever as such.
There were some early sixteens that were not engraved but had a gold plated trigger as all Sweet Sixteens do.

The serial number range you gave is in the 1947-1948 era, at that time Browning did not have seperate serial numbers for the Sweet Sixteen.

It was a lighter built gun than the standard 16's the barrel ring where the recoil spring presses against should have three holes drilled in it, and the reciever has extra lightening cuts made in the sides inside. You have to compare it against a standard model.

The big tipoff is a gold plated trigger.
Both mine and my Dad's magnum 20's have gold plated triggers. His is from the 1960's and mine is early '80's. I have seen a lot of 12 gauge A-5's with the gold trigger as well. Do you mean the sweet sixteen has a gold trigger and the standard sixteen does not?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts