Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a Browning model 1886, saddle ring carbine, and ran across the question whether this model had various barrel lengths? I have noted in For Sale, seller's listing 20", 22", and 24" barrel lengths. Is there a 20" barrel length ?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
It had various barrel lengths but I don't know all of them. It was made with crescent butt plates, carbine lengths, saddle ring (I believe), and both hex and round barrel. You might try leveractionshooters.com

·
Registered
9 Posts
I acquired a new Browning 1886 45-70 rifle some years ago and have severely enjoyed it ever since. I am a reloader by necessity and have taken this rifle up and down the spectrum of power and comfort within the confines of safety for this design. I cast my own bullets from 350 to 500 grains, and have had splendid fun with all the weights and power levels with the exception of the heaviest weights at the upper power levels leaning into the rifle on the bench. My first game taken with this rifle was a chocolate black bear taken at 15 ft. in the rocks just outside Denver, Co. My reason for this post is to pass on some of my good luck with this rifle. In working up loads for hunting, I chose Speer 400 gr. flat point. I chose IMR 4064 powder for all my loads to keep the variables to a minimum. I used Hornady loading data, but advanced by 5 gr. increments up to near maximum. At least that was the plan. At 100 yds.,the minimum load patterned at pie plate size. Three shot groups went pie plate, pie plate, pie plate, 4 inch, 3 inch, 6 inch, pie plate. I then went 2 gr. increments from the 4 inch group to the 3 inch group. Low and behold, at a loading of 52 gr. the group went to three in the X ring. I went home and loaded 20 more rounds at 52 gr. I then put ten more in the X ring. The target had a ragged hole a little over an inch in diameter. I didn't waste any more on the target. Eureka! I found the sweet spot for my 1886. The load was nowhere near the maximum and was a pleasure to shoot. So my recipe is: Hornady 45-70 brass,Federal large rifle primers, Speer 400gr. flat point bullets, 52gr. IMR4064 powder. Please enjoy this loading in your 1886 modern made rifle. Tell me what happens. My cast 350gr. at this loading stayed under 2 inch groups. Plenty good for my kind of hunting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most lever action carbines are 20 inches.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Browning 1886 SRC(from the early 1990's) shares the old original Winchester 1886 SRC barrel length of 22 inches. The Browning 1886 rifles of the same era have 26" octagon barrels.

The newer/recent Winchester branded rifles may have longer or shorter barrels...plus there is the possibility that a particular gun has had the barrel modified or replaced

When I decided I wanted a more modern .45-70...I looked at what was out there new...and for the price could buy a nice 'near new' Browning 1886 saddlering carbine with the factory box for same or less than the local stores were selling new Winchester 1886 rifles(that have tang-safetys and rebounding hammers). So I bought myself a 1990's Browning 1886 carbine with box from the Roger's Minnesota Cabela's and had it shipped to my local dealer.

Great shooting gun! The rear sight is a bit crude..but works well for me. Box says 22" barrel and a tape measure verifies the length. Model 1892/1873/1894 carbines have 20" barrels as standard length...22" is the standard carbine length barrel for the 1886

·
Registered
7 Posts
22" is the factory standard for the Browning 1886 SRC. It is one of the finest I've owned. Fun to shoot and with the ladder sight i can consistently hit 2.5 " group at he eye at 100 yards.

I also have an Winchester 1886 Extra light. It also shoots a great, similar group.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The Browning 1886 SRC(from the early 1990's) shares the old original Winchester 1886 SRC barrel length of 22 inches.

The Browning 1886 rifles of the same era have 26" octagon barrels.
+1

In addition, my Winchester by Miroku (ILO Browning by Miroku) Model 86EL's (Extra Light), which is neither a Carbine (model) or a Rifle (model), has a 22" bbl.

IMO, the confusion arises due to non-detail-oriented folks generic lumping of all Model 1886/86's into one model with different barrel lengths.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I once saw Hickcock using a 24 inch barrel Browning 45/70 on his video. It was a very well constructed rifle by all means. I wish I could have picked one up at the time.;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
So my recipe is: Hornady 45-70 brass ,Federal large rifle primers, Speer 400gr. flat point bullets, 52gr. IMR4064 powder. Please enjoy this loading in your 1886 modern made rifle. Tell me what happens. My cast 350gr. at this loading stayed under 2 inch groups. Plenty good for my kind of hunting.
Anxious to try your special recipe with my Browning 1886 made in 1986. Just started reloading. Have been using IMR 4198 and Accurate 5744 with a variety of 405 gr SP. Don't cast my own. Groups at 100 are ok but want it to do better. Accuracy is mostly due to the shooter. Thanks.

PS Have you tried other bullets (mfg and or weight) besides the 400 gr Speer in your recipe? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Anxious to try your special recipe with my Browning 1886 made in 1986. Just started reloading. Have been using IMR 4198 and Accurate 5744 with a variety of 405 gr SP. Don't cast my own. Groups at 100 are ok but want it to do better. Accuracy is mostly due to the shooter. Thanks.

PS Have you tried other bullets (mfg and or weight) besides the 400 gr Speer in your recipe? Thanks again.
Both my 1886's like 50 gr of W-748 under a 410-420 gr LFNGC (RCBS) lit with a Winchester large rifle magnum primer. Accuracy good enough to take out clay pigeons at 100 yards with a Williams peep sight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know where I can obtain information regarding the maximum pressure this rifle can handle when it comes to reloading?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seriously, where can I get the maximum pressure for this rifle?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So my recipe is: Hornady 45-70 brass, Federal large rifle primers, Speer 400gr. flat point bullets, 52gr. IMR4064 powder. Please enjoy this loading in your 1886 modern made rifle. Tell me what happens. My cast 350gr. at this loading stayed under 2 inch groups. Plenty good for my kind of hunting.
Clarification please. The Speer 400 gr flat point bullets - Are these jacketed bullets? From what I've seen, most if not all 400 gr bullets are jacketed and 405 gr bullets are lead cast. Am I wrong? And, are your 350 gr bullets lead cast or jacketed? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Clarification please. The Speer 400 gr flat point bullets - Are these jacketed bullets? From what I've seen, most if not all 400 gr bullets are jacketed and 405 gr bullets are lead cast. Am I wrong? And, are your 350 gr bullets lead cast or jacketed? Thanks.
Once again, you obviously aren't using a load manual if you're asking these questions. Get off the net and buy a few manuals and READ them. Then again maybe you should stick to buying your ammo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Once again, you obviously aren't using a load manual if you're asking these questions. Get off the net and buy a few manuals and READ them. Then again maybe you should stick to buying your ammo.
Disappointed in your reply. Responses like this discourage newcomers from asking questions and are reasons for leaving any given forum. I'm only trying to confirm the information I'm getting from a variety of loading manuals I have in my possession such as Lyman, Hodgdon and One Book/One Caliber for 45-70. Being new to reloading, the information is new and can be confusing and contradictory from one manual to another. Sorry to bother you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Both cast and jacketed come in 400 and 405 grain weights. Jacketed Speers are 400, jacketed Remington and Winchester are 405 grains. Cast bullets can literally be had in any weight depending on the mould and the alloy used.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Dogbone-- WE are not an authority on loads for anything but OUR OWN rifles. You have the manuals. Read them and learn and work up your own loads. Please.

Reactions: veeman
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.