Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Sounds like this is one of the Brownings (before the tang safety?), and if it isn't beat up or rusted, $350 is an excellent price. All these repro's that I have seen do have a 24" barrel. I bought a NIB 270 Win (tang safety) last year and paid $400, but the 30/06 is a much more desired chambering. Mine should be delivered back to me in the next couple of weeks after being turned into a 411 Hawk. I did request a 22" barrel. If you go with anything over a 35 caliber, I think it needs to be rebarreled. My understanding was the barrel was too thin (with the dovetailed sights) to accomodate anything more than the 35 safely.

Check out Gunsamerica, auction arms and gunbroker websites, and you'll get a good feel for what these are going for. Most of what you are describing go for 550-600 and up. With the altered stock, it would be less, but I'm not sure how much.

I think its a good deal.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
By the way, these are really interesting rifles. The actions are very smooth and very strong. From all the folks I know that have them, report fine accuracy. They don't lend themselves to scopes and peep sights are either the side mounted variety or on the bolt. I suppose you could do a Griffin & Howe side mount for a scope, but that might make it a tad ungainly. They are definitely fine firearms though some find them a bit awkward at first. Mine balanced very well. If it's in good shape and you don't mind hunting with an '06 without a scope, they are a lot of fun. The recoil pad can be replaced very easily and there are still factory buttplates available for purchase.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Does he have 350 on the tag? If so, that is the most he thinks he can get for it. A little bit of persuasive dickering should get you a better deal. Check the bore, make sure it is fine condition.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
If you are satisfied with the way it shoots and it is in good condition, the price is definitely right. This model is different from all the others and is my favorite lever gun. A wonderful addition to anyone's collection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts