Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, posted this over on sixgunned also. Have a chance to buy the above rifle in standard carbine form ANIB(read- non fancy) for about $550. I know this is based on the winchester 86 action but know nothing about the .348 round it is chambered for. I'am trying to decide between this and a marlin 1895 limited V in 45-70 which is $100 more and I already reload for this round. Thanks any information or thoughts you can pass along.
Hawks

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hawks-

Its a VERY good price! I have the Browning M-71 and the Marlin 1895 in .45-70. Both nice guns but the M-71 fit & finish are way out in front of the Marlin and is my hands down favorite. I set mine up with a Williams peep sight and it is shooting better than I can hold - staying well inside an inch at 50 yds. for 5 shots. I'd strongly recommend grabbing it while you can - the Marlins are still production items and you can pick them up in the $535 - $550 range everywhere.

Multiple lots of brass (new Winchester) have been available on e-bay for a while and is running about $70 for 500 pcs. - an exceptional buy - less than half what the big mail order places are getting for it.

Hornady & Barnes make jacketed bullets and Hornady still makes gas checks for cast bullets. Finding a bullet mould if you're inclined that way will take some work as none are cataloged by any of the big guys and only a few of the custom makers show designs. I made up an LBT-like design with large meplat that weighs right at 235grs. in WW alloy.

Good luck-

Sky C.
Longmont, CO

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hawks - BUY IT!!! The last 71 in .348 I ran across had a price tag of 1200.00 and it wasn't new! It was a fancier grade with engraving but that was too much for me. I really am interested in a .348 and if I ever get a deal like you've got I wouldn't think twice! Get back there and buy it before some darn fool buys your rifle! CEJ...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Buy Buy Buy...or Bye Bye Bye

I just looked at a used one with some pits in the bore, otherwise in nice shape and almost bought it at $675. I researched the caliber extensively...on this site as well as others, and was thoroughly impressed. I have to agree with the earlier post as well, Marlins are available...deals like that aren't.:D :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lost in Vt.
After answering your e-mail last week i had more time to think as to where you might find a 71. It might not hurt to call The Powderhorn in Williston. Originally i mentioned that i only saw 1 model 71 for sale, used. Thinking back that was for an original winchester 71. The serial number placed it around 1956 for its production date. As far as brownings go, i believe that over the past 5-6 years, there have been four or five 71's for sale. After handling the original winchester and browning both, i feel that the japanese browning has a smoother action. Just my opinion. Anyhow it may be worthwhile to give them (powderhorn) a call.If you get one i bet you won't want to part with it!
Scott

·
Registered
141 Posts
Scott, Thanks for the info. I've been to Powderhorn and liked the prices for the most part. Going to have to take a trip north real soon I guess. Heck, maybe Hawks will pass on the deal he found if he does not want it. I'll supply a brandy spanking new Marlin and trade for that Model 71 right now. Wishful thinking I guess. Take it easy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts