Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody tell me about this carbine. I picked one up last week and don't know much about the Browning 92's. It's in excellent condition and I hope to get out to the range on Monday and try it out.
Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
From my experience, just about anything browning is worth owning.

You don't run across many browning lever actions compared to others.

I have a Rossi Puma 92 in .357. It's great fun to shoot.

I would expect yours to be even better quality.

Nice find. Enjoy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How are you getting along with the Browning 357? I recently picked up my third one. The first one was pretty rough, but it was cheap. I sold it when I found #2.

Then I found one that had been slicked up for cowboy shooting. My problem with it is the sights, it has a large bead up front that's not much good for shooting groups or trying to hit anything smaller than a basketball.

A few weeks ago I was in Cabelas in Fort Worth. Usually not too many lever guns on the used gun racks, but there was a 92. I was surprised to see that it was a Browning 92, even more surprised that it was a 357. The price was fair and it went home with me. I need to refinish the wood on this one.

I also have one in .44 Magnum. It came from Alaska, and has had checkering added and the stocks refinished. This is one gun that I'll never part with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Very nice. sometimes life holds for us opportunities that make us smile loudly,I can hear your smile down under it's deafening. What do you hunt with your beautiful little Browning? Cheers, Yellowboy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice. sometimes life holds for us opportunities that make us smile loudly,I can hear your smile down under it's deafening. What do you hunt with your beautiful little Browning? Cheers, Yellowboy
This one has killed one wild hog and a whole lot of plinking targets while I've owned it. I wish it could tell me some of it's Alaskan adventures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Browning B92 in .357

Somebody tell me about this carbine. I picked one up last week and don't know much about the Browning 92's. It's in excellent condition and I hope to get out to the range on Monday and try it out.
Thanks
You are going to be so happy with that little carbine. They are beautifully made and a joy to shoot. They were also made before Winchester got all lawyered up and made Miroku add all that safety crap to the '92. I like the .357 much better than the .44 mag because of the noise level and recoil.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Like has already been said Browning's are very good firearms. I have used two of the 44 Mag. model 92 carbines and they both worked great. 357 lever guns are great all around little rifles. I don't think you could go wrong with that rifle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The browning is much slicker internally and externally than any italyun or brazilian gun. The B92 .357 is scarcer and brings a premium over the .44.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I bought my B92 thirty five years ago. It's a 44 and has had probly 5000 rds through it. I refinished the wood on it 25 years ago. The original finish was pretty thick and completely different than the wood beneath it. Shoots great, good as or better'n my Rossi's. You picked up a winner.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine is a 44 mag. and does fine for me. Looked for one in .357, gave up and bought a Henry which I really like too. On my old Browning I put a Wms. Foolproof on it as age has caught up with my eyesight and works well.

·
Registered
257 Posts
had one and compared it to my pres safety Marlin 1894C. The Marlin is more accurate.But the brownign is slicker and feels nice in the hands. try factory American Eagle 158gr JHPs. they gave great performance before you reload. Keeping shots in the 1600-1700 range gave best groups with plenty of killing power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a B92 in 44 Mag It has been an absolute ball to shoot. I wish I could find a matching 357 that I would not have to mortgage the house for. They are well made slick little rifles. Mine will go to the grave with me.

Joe

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
You are going to be so happy with that little carbine. They are beautifully made and a joy to shoot. They were also made before Winchester got all lawyered up and made Miroku add all that safety crap to the '92. I like the .357 much better than the .44 mag because of the noise level and recoil.
I hate what Winchester did to their models '94 & '92s, as safety is sort of out-of-place on these. I once had a Winchester model 94 (before the safety and side angle eject features) in .44 Magnum. Accurate carbine, but had a nasty recoil. Also had one of Rossi's in .357 Magnum and what I liked about it was you could shoot .38 Special ammo in it for light loads. I now own a Rossi Puma Lever Action in .44-40 Winchester, also a very accurate carbine with much lighter recoil than the .44 Magnum. Accurate with both lead and jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I hate what Winchester did to their models '94 & '92s, as safety is sort of out-of-place on these. I once had a Winchester model 94 (before the safety and side angle eject features) in .44 Magnum. Accurate carbine, but had a nasty recoil. Also had one of Rossi's in .357 Magnum and what I liked about it was you could shoot .38 Special ammo in it for light loads. I now own a Rossi Puma Lever Action in .44-40 Winchester, also a very accurate carbine with much lighter recoil than the .44 Magnum. Accurate with both lead and jacketed bullets.
I guess it never occurred to you that you can shoot reduced loads and 44 specials in the 44 mag ;)carbines.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Browning 92's were made in their Miroku Plant in Japan. This plant does some of the best work in world. They make a very good rifle, far better than the Post 1964 Winchester 92's. I wish that I could have found one. I have A Winchester 1892 Short made in 2018 from that plant ( Miroku ) . It is an excellent rifle, very well made and I love it. The Browning does not have the rebounding hammer or the tang safety that the new Winchesters have. Which I would prefer mine did not have those also like the Browning. But the Winchester works well and I really never even notice the Hammer or Safety.

Very good rifles and preferred over the new Winchesters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a B92 in 357. It's the last gun to go if I have to down size. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through it and never a problem.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My model 92's are Pumas in .357; I would have bought a Browning, if I could have found one. To me, the model 92 and .357 go together like "ham & eggs". It's the perfect size and caliber that makes "handling" and "shooting" this lightweight such a pleasure! its overall size makes perfect rifle to have along in a pick up when you might "bump" into a "mean 'ol coyote" or a wild boar that is tearing up your pasture. For those of use who don't regularly use hunting pistol, it offers an "alternative" in a package that is just as handy. Warhawk, I am envious of your "checkering" you've put on display in your post; for it looks to be extremely well executed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts