Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a browning auto 5 the serial number starts with 71V XXXXX, from what I understand that means its a 1971 magnum. It came with two barrels-30 1/2" and 26 1/2". The serial numbers start with VL on them. It also has both St.lousi and montreal on the barrel. I am fairly green but when I look down the barrel I do not see a choke. Can some one give me more info on my gun, I would like to know about the barrels and what shots I can use (its a 3"). I wanna use it for ducks and geese but do not want to damage the barrels with a steel shot. It also says special steel if that means anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Browning uses a code for the choke designation on barrels that do not have a screw-in choke.

* ~ Full (F)

*- ~ Improved Modified (IM)

** ~ Modified (M)

**- ~ Improved Cylinder (IC)

**$ ~ Skeet (SK)

*** ~ Cylinder (CYL)

If you look through the barrel from the chamber end, the start of the choked section of the barrel should appear as a circular shadow about 2" from the muzzle.

For steel shot, the choke should not be tighter than Modified, and preferably closer to Improved Cylinder.

Larger shot sizes, #2 and up, should be used through more open chokes to maintain pattern.

If the barrels are marked "Belgium", Browning says do not shoot steel shot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts