Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a friend of mine went to a local gunshop and bought a mint Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 30-06 with an equally mint 3.5 X 10 Leupold Vari-X III for just 550 bucks. The clerk who wrote it up thought the price was low for the rig as do I. The A-bolt is a rifle I don't know much about, but can't say I ever recalled hearing any owners complain about them, so I'm looking for opinions of the rifle here from you A-Bolt owners. I'm pretty sure most will think the deal was sweet enough.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I bought a NIB A-Bolt Hunter via GunBroker earlier this year for $450, and I considered it to be a good deal. Other prices had been averaging about $600. Granted, this for a discontinued WSSM chambering, which could have effected the price in either direction. I had considered the Medallion, which has some cosmetic upgrades (gloss finish, embossed engraving, and rosewood fore end cap), and it was going for $50 to $100 more.

That scope is worth at least $450 new.

I would say your friend made out very, very well.

·
Inactive account
585 Posts
Your friend made out like a bandit. The a-bolt is a great gun. In my experience every a-bolt I have owned or shot was MOA or better. They have a 60 degree bolt throw which I prefer anyway, but its extra nice if you are hunting with thick gloves as it gives you extra clearance between the bolt and your scope. Tell him not to lose the detachable magazine, about $55 to replace.

If he decides he doesnt like it or gets swayed by the Browning haters of the world tell him I'll take it off his hands for $525 (depreciation you know).

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I have an '86 A-Bolt in .30-06 and it shoots well. No complaints here. Well... one complaint... the biggest deer taken with it was when I lent it to my cousin for a couple seasons because he didn't have a rifle and he got a 158 3/4 inch 8pt (this one, actually: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii40/shane256/iPhonePhotos/IMG_0042.jpg ) ;)
That's a nice buck...any pictures of it where it's not coming out of a trash bag on the kitchen counter? :O

I know, I know...that wasn't NICE! But, it's a pet peeve of mine that too many great hunting moments are spoiled by not getting a lot of in-the-field pics, hopefully before it is gutted and thrown in the back of a pickup.

The A-bolt is a nice rifle and the VX-III is a good scope. If both are used, but in good shape, he probably got them for at least a couple hundred dollars less than they're worth.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
That's a nice buck...any pictures of it where it's not coming out of a trash bag on the kitchen counter? :O

I know, I know...that wasn't NICE! But, it's a pet peeve of mine that too many great hunting moments are spoiled by not getting a lot of in-the-field pics, hopefully before it is gutted and thrown in the back of a pickup.
I know, I know ;) Unfortunately, that's the only pic I have of it. He got it a few days before I was down to visit and he had already caped it out. He pulled it out of the freezer for me to take that pic with my camera phone.

He got that one two years ago. Last year he got a 10pt that was almost as big... I think it was about 150 inches but doesn't look nearly as impressive as an 8pt with nearly the same score.

·
Banned
296 Posts
You sure he didnt steal that gun and just gave the clerk 550 for hush money? That is a great deal. Especially with the leupold scope. The one and only thing that I do not like about my browning a bolt is that it says made in japan on the barrel. Other than that you couldn't ask for a smoother cycling and handling gun. But its also because of that word on the barrel that I only own one. Made in USA means a lot.

·
Banned
322 Posts
I bought a left hand A Bolt Medallion in 25-06 17 years ago. It still shoots MOA with 120 grain bullets, and has killed a bunch of deer. The only thing I dont like is the medallion version being so glossy and nice. Its almost too pretty to hunt with, and shows every little ding and scratch. I keep saying Im going to refinish the stock and make kind of a satin finish. The only thing I have against it is its made in Japan on the barrel. My BLR is a 243 and made in Belgium, which was my very first deer rifle, and holda a special place in the safe.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My A-Bolt is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. They also tend to be one of the lightest full-sized rifles around.

Main difference between A Bolt and X Bolt, besides the cosmetics, is the X Bolt has a better trigger (but the A-Bolt is very good, but non-adjustable) and the X Bolt has an additional button to allow working the action while the safety is still on.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Your friend made a great deal. My youngest son has the same rifle with a Nikon Buckmaster and it's dropped a bunch of game in the 3 or 4 years he's owned it. I agree it's too shiney. I have an A-Bolt stainless stalker in 25-06 topped with a Leupold Vari-XII. There isn't one bad thing I can say about it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Oh yeah to answer the rest of your question...

A-Bolt has the removeable magazine mounted to the floor plate

X-Bolt has a goofy looking stock, a removable magazine without the floor plate and a better factory trigger.

T-Bolt is the straight pull rimfire rifle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.