Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought another Browning A5 Light 12, I love them and this is not my first. This one, a 1986 model, as well as the usual markings has "UTAH POWER AND LIGHT" marked on it.

Can anyone tell me about this, I have seen a good many Auto 5's and have quite a few myself, but never seen one marked up like this. To add to it, I am in New Zealand, so the gun has travelled far from its apparrent home.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Utah Power & Light (UP&L) was a large supplier of electricity in Utah and surrounding state from 1912 to present. As such a large company it may have had its own security branch and it underwent several mergers with other companies so its quite possible that their security services were contracted out and firearms were no longer needed. This has been documented with other companies. All speculation on my part but possible.

Would be nice to know where the UP&L markings are. Picture would be a real help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Utah Power & Light (UP&L) was a large supplier of electricity in Utah and surrounding state from 1912 to present. As such a large company it may have had its own security branch and it underwent several mergers with other companies so its quite possible that their security services were contracted out and firearms were no longer needed. This has been documented with other companies. All speculation on my part but possible.

Would be nice to know where the UP&L markings are. Picture would be a real help.
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I am a power engineer myself so a kindred spirit, maybe. I have e-mailed a few UP&L addresses but no luck so far. I'll try and post a photo when I get home, working in the Fiji Islands at the moment.
I speculate that UP&L may have had an employees store attached to its Credit Union at some stage, not unusual for a big organisation. Its a standard 28" Invector Light 12, rather than a short security type shotgun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts