Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for the last month or two I have had my mind on a Browning Bar MK3 I saw at my local sporting goods shop. I can not find the Browning Bar MK3 in any of the current production models (Engraved Browning Model, Mossy Oak, and the Black Out Stalker Model) at a big retailers like Cabelas and Bass Pro. I can find it on sites like GunBroker, but I am not really comfortable with online orders from unknown sellers. I am sure I can request it ordered in from a store, but before I did I was looking for reviews from people who own these newer Browning BAR MK3 rifles.

From what I can find online, review wise, there is barely anything out there and this is from nearly 2 weeks of searching for things people have to say about these rifles. I would like to get my BAR MK3 in 30-06 but would love to hear anyone's experience with these rifles in any of the several calibers available. Simply put I want to own this rifle in 30-06 but for the $1,200 price tag I was hoping to hear some things from people who own one lol.

If you have shot or owned a Browning BAR MK3 please let me know how you enjoyed the rifle and what caliber you have it with. Do you shoot it for fun, do you hunt with it, would you suggest it to others? Anything from current or previous owners will help out, and I would really appreciate the help and comments on this Browning rifle.

NOTE: Here is the image of the Mossy Oak, Stalker, Standard, and Safari current production models I believe. They come in several calibers, I am seeking 30-06 but wanting to hear from all owners of the rifle regardless of the caliber you have lol.

https://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/BAR-Rifle-from-Browning-600x529.jpg

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,330 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you kindly, I will try that out! I am rather new to forums, sorry I should have thought to try that first before posting. I appreciate the help buddy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ironically I saw those 3 threads a couple weeks ago before making an account here to ask for more information. I see little other posts about the new Browning BAR MK3 models so I will keep any eye on this thread in hopes other users who have owned the rifle can chime in :)

I will dig more in the search as well, hoping to get some new insight on the search or from owners of the rifle that find this thread :)

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,330 Posts
No reason to apologise, just looking around a bit first may reveal a number of gems is all. MZ5 has had, maybe still does, have a few of them. Here's pretty busy right now, but may swing by.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No reason to apologise, just looking around a bit first may reveal a number of gems is all. MZ5 has had, maybe still does, have a few of them. Here's pretty busy right now, but may swing by.

Cheers

Well I thank ya kindly for the help! I was able to find a little on here but not much yesterday. From what I did read though, I am sadly being turned away for the Browning BAR MK3. From forums and YouTube, there is not a whole lot said and what is said seems to be unhappy customers and a couple who love and swear by them lol.

For me, I have never owned a semi-auto only bolt and level. I want to hunt with a sense of pride and confidence in my hunting rifles. I am scared it will jam, as with Semi-auto I hear that is the issues they commonly have. I only buy in the 30-06 caliber for my bolts and if I get a semi-auto this would be in 30-06 as well.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I have no BARs at present. Sold my Hog Stalker (aka ShortTrac) a year or two ago. It was a good rifle. I do not know how similar the current Mk3 is to what the ShortTrac was, but I speculate they're not _too_ different.

Sorry I'm not more help than that.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If you really want a reliable and proven 30.06 semi-auto for hunting/shooting... You might check into the CMP and get a Garand M-1. They assemble a "special" grade with brand new barrel and stock.

I know. It's not a "pretty rifle" like a Browning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you really want a reliable and proven 30.06 semi-auto for hunting/shooting... You might check into the CMP and get a Garand M-1. They assemble a "special" grade with brand new barrel and stock.

I know. It's not a "pretty rifle" like a Browning.
That is EXACTLY what I did.

Like the poster I looked at those BARs until I was blue in the face. I wanted a semi-auto 30-06. Kept looking at those and wishing I could find at least a couple of higher capacity mags. Looked and looked for over a year.

Finally just ordered one of those gasport plugs from GarandGear and took my old field grade garand out. Opening day I plugged a deer with it, one shot and I was hooked.

By the next year I ordered and got one of those specials you mention. After luck with an old one I wanted to see just what a "new" one could do.

Haven't killed anything with it yet but I'm not disappointed. Been shooting it on the range quite a bit and plan to take it hunting this season. Semi auto full power, 30-06, 7 round capacity and "magazines" that cost 50 cents to a dollar a piece.

Even more better IMHO.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
The M1 is a terrific option. It’s significantly and noticeably heavier than a sporting BAR, and mounting a scope requires special hardware and a willingness to ‘destroy’ the receiver on most of them, but it is a reliable, durable option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The M1 is a terrific option. It’s significantly and noticeably heavier than a sporting BAR, and mounting a scope requires special hardware and a willingness to ‘destroy’ the receiver on most of them, but it is a reliable, durable option.
Never had to destroy the receiver on mine. Notice the tac rail ahead of the bolt?

10 minutes and it can be just like new again with the un altered original wood there instead.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
No, I do not. You seem to have attempted to link a photo in your post, but it does not show up. No M1 receiver has a "tac rail," so I assume you're either talking about something else (an M1A, perhaps?), or perhaps a handguard-mounted scope mount?

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,330 Posts
He's trying to redirect to a photo on another website.

GlockTalk may allow Garand threads(which only has one "R" btw), but they don't like their bandwidth used in redirects to other webpages.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have an uncle and cousin that use them in .270...both more than accurate enough for deer hunting. Needed to take one of them apart and clean very thoroughly all the factory grease off, way too much, was short stroking. They definitely shot better with 150 grain bullets as well. Accuracy really tightened up after about 100 rounds through the tube as well

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
"scout mount"

Garand-Scope_005.jpg Still off the BAR topic.. These clamp onto the barrel and work great. No permanent modification is done, and with QD rings you can opt for the iron sights in seconds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, I do not. You seem to have attempted to link a photo in your post, but it does not show up. No M1 receiver has a "tac rail," so I assume you're either talking about something else (an M1A, perhaps?), or perhaps a handguard-mounted scope mount?
Hum? I see it on mine? I use their photo gallery a lot of other place and they don't seem to mind.

https://www.amazon.com/UltiMAK-Picatinny-Forward-Optic-Garand/dp/B07BGC124D?SubscriptionId=AKIAJA54JMESX73IGPXQ&amp=&ascsubtag=408554817-16-&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07BGC124D&linkCode=xm2&tag=d_2b_a_p-20

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Okay, yes, I have seen those hand guard-replacement mount points before. Looks like one would mount a ‘scout scope’ on them, or I guess a holo or red dot(?). I don’t have any scopes that would work on such a mount location, nor would I trust one to hold zero that well, without considerable experience. Has you experience been positive?

Back to the sporting BAR question:
Any new rifle may shoot well or poorly. Unfortunately there’s no way to predict that before spending the money. Chances are that a BAR will shoot well for big game hunting, be reliable, and be rather light.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Okay, yes, I have seen those hand guard-replacement mount points before. Looks like one would mount a ‘scout scope’ on them, or I guess a holo or red dot(?). I don’t have any scopes that would work on such a mount location, nor would I trust one to hold zero that well, without considerable experience. Has you experience been positive?
I've tried a Leopold red dot on it. A pretty pricey one in fact. I hate it. That is why it's not on there.

I love the irons on these though fortunately. But the whole point to getting the "new" one was to see just how accurate one can be. I just haven't made the jump to get one of those scout scopes yet to put on it. I feel pretty ripped off over that whole red dot fiasco. The whole concept is junk, I'd never buy another one for any thing regardless of what I wanted it on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts