Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a beautiful 1962 belgium made safari in 264 Win mag. The blueing is 95%. The stock is a beautiful piece of wood, however the finish is flaking near the butt. I think in this instance the gun would be best served by a refinish.
I would like to do it myself, and have done this before.
#1. I would like to know, what the original finish is. It is gloss, but not the ugly high gloss of later guns. Looks like a varnish type finish.
#2 What chemical shoud I use to remove the old finish without disturbing the stain on the stock
#3 Do I need to apply anything to the stock to raise the grain, and then lightly sand, or can I eliminate this step in the interest of preserving the integrity of the stain
#4 What finish should I use?
Again, I would like to preserve the orginal look of the gun. Thanks

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
FWIW, To refinish a Browning to look like issue, I strip w/o sanding using CitriStrip, then finish with a spray-on epoxy stock finish.

I buy several toothbrushes at a Dollar Discount Store for working on the checkering, both with stripper and finish (separate brushes, though).

Most of those Safari's were originally stocked in a blondish European/English Walnut, sans stain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have no luck with canned epoxy so I take mine to a local painter that airbrushes a urathain epoxy finish that lays down better and looks more original. c

1 - 3 of 3 Posts