Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I am about to purchase a Browning Blr takedown pistol grip in the 300 WSM.

I currently have a Marlin 336SS and absolutely love it. I just love lever guns and decided I wanted to get something a little bigger to hunt some moose or bear.

Really hating to tote along a heavy long gun through the woods was another reason for going with the BLR WSM rifle.

I am thinking of putting on a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 with the boon and crocket reticle.

What I would like to know is the following:

1. Does anyone have the same gun and if so how do you like it?

2. What scope is everyone putting on the BLR?

3. I am a pretty good shot and was wondering what everyone is getting for an average group from the BLR in 300 WSM.

Any thoughts or opinions on my choice of gun is always appreciated. Do not worry about offending me as I have thick skin and sometimes am hard of hearing (according to my wife anyway).

Regards all.

Bill Kemp

p.s. I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Bill here is my experience with the BLR. Bought a 308 BLR in the early 90's . Love the gun , is balanced and light . I will never sell it. I then bought a 7mm mag around 1997 . It was one of the most accurate guns I had at the time. But it was the long receiver and 24in barrel and wasn't balanced the same as the 308 . So when the 300WSM was offered I traded off the 7MM. The 300 WSM was better balanced and accurate.

But this is why I got rid of it. It was absolutly miserable to shoot. The gun is much to light for the recoil of that round. So I found I never shot it.No more Magnums in light guns for me. All my BLR's are accurate. But if I were you and you want a little more punch I would get one in 358. It will kill moose and bear just fine. My neighbor shoots bear with a 30-30 with no problems. If I get another BLR it with be in 358. I have a Winchester in 356 (rimmed 358) and it is the best deer killing caliber I have shot for knocking them down. Gettin a BLR isn't a hard decision, but what caliber is. Good Luck !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Ben:

Thanks for the info. Well the gun that I ordered actually came into the store. It was being sent from one store to another and took about 5 days to get it shipped in.

When they showed me the gun I was completely in shock. I cannot believe that this gun was not sent back to Browning right away. It had the worst checkering job I had ever seen. They completely understood my dissappointment and the decision not to purchase the gun.

One thing lead to another discussing various guns and calibers and my salesman (nameless) said that they had a gun that was in the caliber that I wanted 300 WSM but it was a shot show special. It was the Browning Blr Gold Medallion model. I had not heard of this model and when he showed it to me I was in absolute shock. What a beautiful gun.

I really hesitated and finally asked the big question (How much) and to my surprise it was $300.00 more than the gun that I just told them that I did not want. This gun is not the takedown model that I wanted but the stainless barrel and engraving make up for that feature (at least to me).

I ended up buying the Gold Medallion in the 300 WSM and am tickled pink. I am looking forward to testing it out.

I will be putting a scope on it soon so I will have to make a decision about what to get for this baby.

(My wife made the comment that she wanted me to go hunting for a bear so she could have the typical bear skin rug for the fireplace) so with that in mind I am going to make this gun the one that I go for a bear with. I have never hunted bear but my buddy has some land loaded with them up north and he and some of his friends have gone.

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts about a scope for this gun. I was thinking of the new Leupold VX3 with the CDS system on it but I have to look into what sizes the CDS system can go on.

Hope to hear opinions.

Regards

Bill - The new Browning Blr owner

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bill,

Sounds like you have a really pretty rifle. BLR's are exceptionally good hunting guns. They are light, handy, well balanced, & accurate. I have found that I appreciate the quick handling qualities of the rifle more, if I keep the scope & mounts as light as possible. Remember, you are hunting big stuff, so you don't need lots of magnification. My .358 wears either a receiver sight or a Leupold M8 mini 4x. I'm about to mount a mini variable on a .270 WSM.

Don't be disappointed if your groups begin to spread after 3 shots. The barrels are light, & they tend to heat up quickly. I think you're going to love this gun.

Jim

·
Banned
968 Posts
Well, I don't think my question is worthy of it's own thread, so ...

I am considering buying a Browning takedown in 300 Win Mag. I am not sure of the model number, I keep seeing them here and there on auction sites.

My question is how reliable is it? It looks like the scope rides along with the barrel so you do not need to sight it in every time.

It looks like it is easy to assemble with one lever.

I understand the rifle is light and the 300 win mag cartridges are pretty big compared to my 7.62x54r.

Comparing the 147 gr 7.62x54r a package of twenty weighs 16 oz and the 150 gr 300 win mag core-lokt weighs 24 oz and the 180 gr 300 win mag weighs 25 oz.

So, carrying 100 rounds of 7.62 or 300 win mag will not be that big of a difference to me. But, I like the idea of the breakdown and fitting more easily in a back pack, vehicle, or smaller gun safe. Especially if you had to walk with a staff up a steep incline.

I see how people say the recoil is stiff, is it any worse then a Remington 870 12g slug?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 300WSM pistol grip but it is not the takedown model. I bought the Browning mounts which are actually Talley. The rear ring has no offset so it limits how far fwd you can mount the scope. I have a Nikon Monarch UCC 2-7 (now discontinued) on mine. I have also used a Leupold VX2 2-7. Also the rear sight can interfere with scope mounting. Both the scopes I listed will fit w/ the rear sight mounted but it is extremely close. You may not have those issues if you use the barrel mount. I don't know all the differences between the std model and the takedown. I would take the rifle with me to select mounts and scope as they are not as forgiving as the average bolt gun. As far as recoil goes it is a 30 caliber magnum in a light rifle. They have excellent pads and if the stock fits you it shouldn't be too bad depending on your tolerance. I've had heavier rifles with lesser cartridges kick me harder. I would rate felt recoil noticeably less than a 12ga slug. Having said all that BLRs are not particularly easy to shoot off the bench consistently but they are well worth it in the field. I tried a few different factory loads (all 180gr)as that is my practice with a new cartridge. None grouped over 2" for 3 shots. Loads it liked were just under an inch. Typically the first two touching and the third opening up a bit. Winchester loads made advertised velocity, Black Hills did not and Federal was in between. Mine liked Accubonds and Partitions but did not care for TSXs.

·
Banned
968 Posts
> I would rate felt recoil noticeably less than a 12ga slug

Great.

>but they are well worth it in the field.

It's main use will be self defense and long distance hog/deer hunting. I am not really looking at a bench rifle. I want something to use and get dirty that I can enjoy.

·
Inactive
438 Posts
On BigBore Leverguns I like the Burris 2-7 Scout Scope because of its extra long eye relief. Have used it on a Hotrod 45/70 without ever being Doughnutted by the scope. Conversely I have come awfully close to being butchered by other scopes without that five inch eye relief, and B.L.R.'s DO KICK, no doubt about it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.