Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
968 Posts
Well, I don't think my question is worthy of it's own thread, so ...

I am considering buying a Browning takedown in 300 Win Mag. I am not sure of the model number, I keep seeing them here and there on auction sites.

My question is how reliable is it? It looks like the scope rides along with the barrel so you do not need to sight it in every time.

It looks like it is easy to assemble with one lever.

I understand the rifle is light and the 300 win mag cartridges are pretty big compared to my 7.62x54r.

Comparing the 147 gr 7.62x54r a package of twenty weighs 16 oz and the 150 gr 300 win mag core-lokt weighs 24 oz and the 180 gr 300 win mag weighs 25 oz.

So, carrying 100 rounds of 7.62 or 300 win mag will not be that big of a difference to me. But, I like the idea of the breakdown and fitting more easily in a back pack, vehicle, or smaller gun safe. Especially if you had to walk with a staff up a steep incline.

I see how people say the recoil is stiff, is it any worse then a Remington 870 12g slug?

·
Banned
968 Posts
> I would rate felt recoil noticeably less than a 12ga slug

Great.

>but they are well worth it in the field.

It's main use will be self defense and long distance hog/deer hunting. I am not really looking at a bench rifle. I want something to use and get dirty that I can enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.