Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Scotland~

Following my tread on Savage 99 series lever rifles can i also ask for your opinons as to the BLR ??

I believe there are completely modern design of lever ?
Straight grip at first with the more recent models having semi-pistol grip.

Like the savage they have a box mag allowing the use of pointed bullets.

The Savage 99 seems to be a "classic" will the BLR gain this status ???

Englander :D

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I seriously doubt the Browning will ever even begin to approach the Savage 99, especially so the very awkward new pistol grip guns. The straight grip model looks and handles better in my opinion.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Englander - I never could bring myself to buy a BLR because for me they are way too light in feel at the muzzle. I know alot of hunters really like them, so I guess this is just a personal thing for me. If you are interested in a superb, modern lever action rifle, then look for a Winchester Model 88. They were manufactured from 1956 to the early 70's in rifle and carbine. Some have some fine oak leaf clusters and basket weave engraving on the one piece pistol gripped stock. Calibers available were .243, .284, .308, and .358 Win. Most were .308, I believe. At least that's the caliber that most often shows up in the used gun ads here in Maine. They are hammerless and have clip magazines. I've shot a pile of deer with mine, and it's the only "non -family hand down" firearm that I would absolutely not part with. I wish I could down load you a photo. It's way too bad that Winchester stopped production. See ya

·
Registered
238 Posts
Englander - I have to agree with Mainer on the BLR. I also didn't like the magazine set up on it, but that's just me. The Win 88 is a great rifle and my other favorite is the Sako Finnwolf in almost the same calibers as the Win. I had a chance to buy one of them years ago but foolishly bought a push feed M70 instead - couldn't wait to get rid of that one! If you ever run across a Savage 99, Win 88 or a Sako GRAB IT !! And don't let anyone talk you out of it. CEJ..

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Englander,
Not to change the subject, but have you checked out the 1895 Winchesters? Box type magazine so you shoot pointed bullets, safe for today's pressures in 30/06, 270, 405 Winchester, 30/40 Krag, etc... Of course, if you get the itch like I did, you can rebore or rebarrel a 270 or 30/06 to 338/06, 35 Whelen, 411 Hawk, 375 Hawk, etc... Very interesting rifle indeed. Mine handles beautifully and the Miroku made Winchesters are beautiful rifles and great wood to metal fit. The action is smmmoooooootttthhhh.
The only real change I would make to the factory rifle is sight replacement (unless you find an original, then I would leave it alone).

Here's an image of the high grade version. I'll post some pics later.

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
Englander - I have had a Model 81 BLR in .308 for 20 years and like it alot. I have taken mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn, several elk, moose, and coyote with it. The box magazines are a little pricey if you need to replace one. They have excellent accuracy but can be finicky on ammo and their triggers aren't the best. Muzzles are a little light and mine does have some recoil even in .308. Probably will never be a classic but a fine rifle just the same.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Englander,

I have a 81 BLR in 358 WIN, and I think very highly of it. It handles very well, and is surprizingly accurate. The action is incredibly smooth, smoother than my much valued 99's, because of the rotating bolt head locking arrangement.

The trigger is light and consistant, but a little long, and the magazine takes a bit of getting used to, as it has to be seated with authority, and that sometimes causes the top cartridge to pop out. I solved this problem by making sure the action was closed when i seat the magazine, chambering the round, placing the hammer to half, and then removing and topping off the magazine. Just another step, and not all that traumatic.

It is also somewhat difficult to clean, and i have had to modify a few toothbrushes and old dental instruments to get down into the nooks and crannies of the reciever properly.

I bought this rifle more for the cartridge than the platform, but it has converted me completely to the BLR concept. I doubt it will ever attain classic status, but from the pragmatic point of view, it will get used much more than both of my 99s.

I'm sure a BLR, (short action anyway) won't dissapoint you if you have an interest in one.

Regards,

S.R.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This maybe a little too late for you Englander but here is my two cents worth. I have a modern Marlin 1895GS in .45-70 and a pre-81 Fn built BLR .243. The .45-70 is for work, the .243 in for fun. Very accurate, 3 in 1's at 100 meters. Pre 81's are not as nice to carry as post 81's with the flat bottom mag. One fellow I met at the range has seven BLR's in various Cal. With the rotating bolt, the BLR is the strongest lever action available. They can be a little finicky with reloads, full length sizing required. I would not hesitate to own another BLR either pre or post 81
PRAIRIE BUCK

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ! It seems either you love'em or you hate'em ! Either way it has to be said they are an interesting step in lever rifle evolution.

Interesting you mentioned the miroku made rifles, from what ive seen of Australian gun mags there seems to be a lot of miroku 81 BLR's around often used as pig guns.

My Miroku " M-bolt " is identical to a "A-bolt " except for them name stamped on it !

Interesting also the light weight barrels were mentioned. I have to say when i first saw the extremely thin 22" tube on my M-bolt i expected it to heat up very, very , quickly indeed ............And it does ! How ever im most impressed with them, i expected to start seeing flyers once the barrel got hot, not so ! Even stuck 40 plus rounds though quick as i could and all shots stayed on target even at 200 yards...

I must admit i do not find the newer semi-pistol grip athlethically pleasing, so i will keep my eyes open for a older stlye ideally in .358, BOY ! im probably in for a wait ............

Englander :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The local gun shop here in Victoria BC Canada has a pre81 BLR in .358 for $600.00 Canadian dollars. It is in very good condition. They would probably settle for $550.00Cdn. No mount, no scope. Drilled and tapped for mounts. It has seen very little usage. I do not know what it would take to get it to you. I will help if I can.

Kevin

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
That's a pretty good deal for a .358 in any decent condition. Is it posible to transfer a firearm from country to country? Especially so to less than gun friendly England?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here in Canada, it is a matter of slogging through the bureaucratic swamp. Getting these ducks in a row is like trying to load free range hogs into a truck. Even food will not move them in the right direction. Back to export/import, it can be done, is it worth it? You would have to ask the vender and purchaser how motivated they are.

God Bless You All While You Celibrate The Birth of Christ

Prairie Buck

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Priarie Buck~ Thanks for the offer but i really dont think ive got the stamina for suck a task ! Even if i got all the paper work sorted out, i would have to go to either the London or Birmingham poof house to be reproofed ! Which for an individual rifle could take up to a year !

My marlin .444 has a 1988 London proof stamp on it , i believe that any gun from outside Europe must be reproofed even it new !

Thanks very much for the offer.

Englander

1 - 13 of 13 Posts