Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Browning BPCR in 40-65. This is the first firearm I have ever owned that did not give disassembly instructions. Looks like if I removed the lever retaining pin the entire block and related parts would just slide out the bottom of the receiver. Will that work? Anything I should be aware of..flying springs etc. How difficult it is it to get the thing back together? Any advice would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bob, the only thing I can tell you about this is: don't do it!  I know that's not much help, but I too have a 40/65 Browning and have read and been told that to put it back together after disassembly is a nightmare!

It helps to do the following:  when cleaning it, hold it  upside-down - that way the cleaning fluids, fouling, etc. do not run into the action.  I use black powder exclusively, and about every 500 rounds, I remove the fore-end, and thoroughly spray inside the action with Gunk-Out or something similar.  

So far, I've put about 3000 black powder rounds through mine,  and the above-mentioned cleaning procedures have worked fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
White Owl

Many thanks. Its hard to resist taking a new gun apart but I will not do it based on your advice. Thanks again. Haven't shot mine yet but can hardly wait. What bullets do you use? What kind of accuracy do you get? Have you shot any BPCR silhouette with yours? I was over to Raton, NM at the NRA center a week or so ago and the boys and girls over there were just starting a week of long range BPCR shooting. It looked pretty exciting but I haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cast my own bullets and use the RCBS 400 gr., and the NEI 216A, a 433 gr. Postell-style bullet designed especially for long range by Dick Gunn.   If I was starting over again, I would select a 300 - 350 gr mould and use it for the shorter ranges (up to maybe 300 yd, or for the chickens and pigs), and then use the 216A for everything else.

I have shot a little silhouette, and will be doing more, but mostly I shoot "gong" matches.  The Browning has a Badger barrel, which is one of the best, and is a very accurate rifle.  The only negative is that the trigger needs some work.  Dale McGee told of a simple way to fix it in the April 2000 (?) issue of Single Shot Exchange.  He will e-mail you the article - but he just left for a 1 month vacation!    

My gun will shoot the RCBS bullet into about 1.5" at 100 yd., and the NEI will do a little better than that.   I use Goex 3F in mine, for a MV of 1225 fps (NEI) and 1250 fps (RCBS).

What you really need to do is go over to the "Blackpowder Cartridge" board on shooterstalk.com.  That is, by far, the best board on the web on this subject!  (Dale McGee posts there under the name "Dale53").

·
Registered
4 Posts
That address should be:    talk.shooters.com. (no www with this).

Also one other thing - if you have a first year production gun,  the hole through the buttstock for the throughbolt goes very near the toe of the buttstock.   There have been reports of the stock cracking in this area, if too much pressure is put on it.  Mostly, the cracking happened when people placed the gun in a gun vise, and tightened-down the part of the vise that gripped the buttstock.  

Browning fixed this later by moving the location of the hole.  Measure the distance between the screws on the buttplate.  The newer model has screws 4 1/16 " apart.  The old model has the screws 3 3/16" apart.  Be careful if you have the older model.  I have heard that some people epoxied a piece of thin-walled aluminum tubing in the hole to strengthen it, but don't know any of the details.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
White Owl

Thanks again. I will check out that website. As luck would have it I seem to have a first run rifle. My trigger doesn't seem bad at all. However. for the past few months most of my rifle shooting has been with Marlin lever guns so I may be fooling myself. Time will tell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Browning disassembly

white owl said:
That address should be:    talk.shooters.com. (no www with this).

Also one other thing - if you have a first year production gun,  the hole through the buttstock for the throughbolt goes very near the toe of the buttstock.   There have been reports of the stock cracking in this area, if too much pressure is put on it.  Mostly, the cracking happened when people placed the gun in a gun vise, and tightened-down the part of the vise that gripped the buttstock.  

Browning fixed this later by moving the location of the hole.  Measure the distance between the screws on the buttplate.  The newer model has screws 4 1/16 " apart.  The old model has the screws 3 3/16" apart.  Be careful if you have the older model.  I have heard that some people epoxied a piece of thin-walled aluminum tubing in the hole to strengthen it, but don't know any of the details.

Hi . I cant log onto the talk.shooters.com website . Would there be an additional address that I could try ?

Rgds
Stan Douglas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts