Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Browning Light Twelve come thru the front door of the gun shop last night, it was rough with lots of rust on the barrel and a few really bad spots on the receiver, but the stock and the guts are in great shape. Not worried about the value but would like to know when it was made. the serial number thru me off some, the gun has the serial number 64 83294 with the 64 being smaller and in a different font.

No engraving at all
Browning with small FN in a circle on the receiver
Gold trigger
Acier C12 on Barrel
Same serial number on barrel gas ring
round knob grip
says both FN and Browning butt stock plate

Thanks for the help!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,137 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 12g with 27" Vent Rib, I am having issues finding the proof star's to see what choke it has. As far as keeping, it will not be going into my long term collection but will be in the investment safe until the time comes to part with it.

I use the Browning web site often to date A-5's but the small 64 then 83294 is not something I can figure out how to decode, I was thinking it might be a european or military PX only. It also has a very small JP above the serial number. I am guessing it's a mid sixties model but unable to decode the serial number.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
That sounds like a Canadian import in the '60s. No engraving means it was not done for Browning Arms, USA.
You said 'Light 12'---Gold trigger and a 'slim waist' on the barrel magazine ring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Light Twelve on Receiver.
Gold Trigger.
Same serial number on the barrel magazine ring and receiver are the same.
Belgium marks all over the barrel.
Assumed the no engraving was a Grade 1 not make for US market.

Is there any way to date the serial numbers on the none US market guns?

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
Look at the rest of the 'markers'. Solid rib, vent rib or no rib? What safety has it got? Has it got a quick load carrier? Round knob butt stock? What butt-plate. Is it French Walnut or Claro?

I'm betting it is a cross-bolt safety with quick feed, round knob and French Walnut. That would point to the "64" as being the date of manufacture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts