Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy, but I just can't stand to let a good gun sit around under appreciated. My well used Browning .45-70 carbine fit that category, and since I already own 4 .45-70 Winchesters, I decided to "play" with this one.

First, I removed the wood and stripped the fugly super shiny finish off, sanded and colored it using Minwax "Red Oak" stain. While that was going on I sent the gun off to a qualified gun restoration smith who proceeded to remove the Browning markings and roll original Winchester 1886 markings in their place. He also color cased the hammer and lever and reamed the gun to .45-90.

After a short while, and almost before the wood was finished, the gun was returned to me. What a difference! The "ugly duckling" had turned into a swan. The gun is back together, but I haven't had an opportunity to "wring it out" quite yet. I fired the gun 3 times, but haven't done any load testing. That will come when the weather warms and the mud dries up at the ranch.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Beautiful rifle. I had to sell my Browning 1886 after getting laid off after 9/11. It's been a long time already, but I *WILL* find another one.

If you don't mind, who did you send it to for the remarking work? Turnbull?

·
Banned
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, not Turnbull. His work would have cost me $$$$ instead of VERY low $$$.
I'd rather not name the smith unless, of course, he owns up to it on the forum.

One thing about the Brownings is that once you remove the stock it is difficult to get it to align perfectly with the tang metal. No wood was removed during the finishing process, yet it won't fit quite fit properly. Low in places, high in others. It will take some "playing" to get a correct fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts