Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,new member looking for so technical info on a Browning SA-22, ( actually an FN model) my friend has an early FN model probably from 30's but his eyes are going and wants to mount a scope, gun is old and by no means a show piece so nostalgia is not a problem with wanting to drill and tap a mount ( which he has) in barrel, just wondering what Is thread size ,type and depth, also dimensions from receiver end of Barrel to first home and centre distance to next.
Or even better a drawing with dimensions
Regards Nat

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Start here: SA-22 Rifle Scope Base - Browning
Find a qualified gunsmith to put this on your gun. Contrary to what most people think, you don’t have to drill/tap very deep to mount a cantilever mount on a rimfire barrel. It only takes 2.5-3 threads to securely attach the mount to the barrel. I’ve put this type of mount on a target rifle I had and it worked very well and I never had a problem with it.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Good advice nsb. Reminded me of the one I had using a similar mount. 45 years ago I paid the princely sum of $70.00 for it. I haven't seen that rifle in 42 years, it was stolen along with 30 other weapons.

·
Premium Member
16,862 Posts
The short answer--Scope mount threads are 6-48. If you don't have a drill jig to get it right, hire it done. Scope mount spacing is set by the scope mounts on that gun. They're all one piece.
The best in my experience are the Redfield style that extend back over the receiver so any scope can be mounted. They mount by two screws.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts