Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have recently inherited a shotgun from my late Grandfather. It is a Browning Sweet 16 with the serial 4S 31228. I am looking to find more information on the history of this gun like when it was made and interesting facts that I can share with future generations. Can anyone help? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Nathan

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The Sweet Sixteen is and A-5 automatic shotgun designed by John Browning. the A-5 was the first sucessful auto. It was and still is a popular shotgun. It is easy to recognize by the large square hum back or stern.

The A-5 as made in a number of guages, including the 12 and the 16 ga. Beginning in about 1937 Browning offered a lightweight version of the A-5. In 1947 they started to mark "SweetSixteen" on the barrel. So if yours is marked it is a gun made sometime after WW-2. These guns were made iin Belgium and have pretty good collector values. There are some minor variations on these Belgiums guns.

However after the A-5 had been discontunied for a few decades, Browning re-tintroduced a copy of the "Sweetsixteen' but make in Japan. These were well made shotguns but are not as valuable as the beligum made ones.

Others made copies of the A-5 (Savage comes to mind) after the original Browning patents expired.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
The A-5 was actually in production, pretty much continuously (except for WWII when it was made under agreement by Remington) until just before the year 2000. Your A-5 was made in 1964, best I can figure. #4 means 1964, and S= Standard model (not lightweight), the remaining numbers are the number, up til that rifle, produced that year.

The Sweet Sixteen is a very nice handling gun. I own a 12ga A-5 Lightweight which I really enjoy, but after having handled a Sweet Sixteen, I prefer it's balance, actually. Enjoy that very special gun!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have a Sweet 16 (etched on receiver) and it has the gold trigger. However, the serial number is 0S 55175. Also, on the Buck web site for aging your A5, they do not show "S" as one of the codes.

So I know its a 1960 gun but I'm interested in the code on this gun as it seems to be omitted on the Browning site.

Look forward to any insights in this issue. Thanks g

·
Registered
930 Posts
During that time period Browning was still making the standard 16 gauge A-5, the "S" in the serial number denotes that it is a Sweet Sixteen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
During that time period Browning was still making the standard 16 gauge A-5, the "S" in the serial number denotes that it is a Sweet Sixteen.
Well that was my guess. Thanks for verifying.

I wonder why Browning has omitted it from their "Age your gun" info. I supose it doesn't matter.

Thanks again. g

·
Registered
17 Posts
The forearm on my old 1960 Sweet 16 was cracked and IMO not original to the gun. The condition of this forearm was in significantly poorer condition that the rest of the gun. The color of this forestock was also something close to the French red color popular in the early part of the century.

I had the good fortune of winning a auction for a new Belgium Sweet 16 forearm. The color in the picture looks a little lighter than the buttstock but well see shortly.

New forearm

Old forearm, looks better in the picture than really is.

The Buttstock...new seems a good bit lighter.

Seem neither of the forearms is a good match.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts