Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one used a BSA Bore Sighter?

I bought a BSA bore sighter kit from MidwayUSA last week. I wanted to use it to align a new Nikon 3 X 9 on a Remington Model 7 in .223 cal.

I installed it as per directions and inserted the .22 arbor with the attached optical device and raised the rifle to look thru the scope I was installing. The device (which is top heavy) just rotated to the bottom of the rifle. The arbor acted as an axle when the optic rotated to 6 O'clock on the barrel.

There is a brass wire attached in a groove in the bottom of the arbor. The wire is attached at one end and is slightly raised. The customer service at BSA said that I should, "Use a "stick" to pull the wire up so the arbor fits tighter". The customer service lady's use of the term "a stick" suggests that... maybe her technical expertise is less than the folks who regularly use this message board.

Can anyone here make a recommendation? Even if the suggestion is to "use a stick".

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,016 Posts
Well, I wouldn't use a "stick", but most probably a small screwdriver to cause the brass wire to bend out a bit more to fit into the grooves of the bore! :D

When the arbor is anchored in the bore, attach the optic and tighten the holding clamp to keep it at 12 O'clock. I have an old Bushnell of this type and both the older and newer Leupold sighting devices. however, I still find that boresighting a bolt rifle is far easier and more accurate. Slip the bolt, put the rifle in a solid holding device (gun cleaning stand is great) and line up the bore with an object at a distance. Adjust the turret knobs until the crosshairs align with the object. There is a building with a letter "F" on it across the fairway from my back door at a measured 96 yds. Using a TV table and an Outers rifle rest, I can be within 1" at 25 yds when going to the range. After zeroing dead center at 25 yds, the target is moved to 100 yds and further adjustments are made for POI if needed or desired.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I hope you have better luck with your BSA bore sighter than I did with mine. Mine didn't sight-in things very well and I got rid of it. Believe it or not, I scrounged up an old tasco model at a flea market that is FANTASTIC. You could literally set up your scope and hunt without test firing though I always do anyway.
I'm not writing this to trash your BSA, just offering another option if needed. I also picked up a laser model that works well, especially since you can also sight-in open sighted guns as well. HD1

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have the BSA bore sighter, and it works great. I always have the rifle in a gun vise though, so the loose fit isn't much of an issue. The suggestion about bending the wire a little with a screwdriver sounds right to me if you don't have a vise to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts