Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say that I think the standard lifters Marlin is putting in the .44 rifles are poorly designed for most cast bullets. It appears that the hump on the rear of the lifter is not raising the rear of the cartridge enough to align it with the chamber. This causes most Keith type SWC and BTB WFN designs to hit the top of the barrel above the chamber. As Marshall says, there have been many lifter designs in these .44's and your firearm may feed well. However, if you have run into this problem, the following BTB bullets feed great:
(1) BTB .432" 250 gr LFN GC
(2) BTB .432" 290 gr LFN GC
(3) BTB .432" 300 gr LMN DCG GC
(4) BTB .432" 325 gr LCMN GC
(5) BTB .432" 325 gr WLN GC
I should note however, that I trim the .44 Mag hulls to 1.270" that I am using for cast bullets. This reduces the problems of lube/powder residue buildup at the front of the chamber.
At present, with the unaltered lifter, the new BTB 265 gr bullet's feeding is marginal.
I have been testing these 300 gr and plus bullets in the 1894P.......It's amazing to what level these heavy bullets take that little carbine up to!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
241 Posts
Please add the 300g WFNGC (.432 dia.) to the list. It feeds beautifully in my 1894. The lifter is stock. The COL is SAAMI standard and I crimp to the canelure.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Jack..Have you tried any of the other wide flat nose bullets? We know there are more than one set of lifters (specs) and are trying to nail down which feeds what? Marshall found that the older models in .44 cal (pre-1894P)
fed all the BTB WFN bullets. What model do you have? Thanks, this is important info for the Marlin .44 Mag owners to know before they buy bullets. My rifle may be one of the few that has this problem. Best Regards, James  

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine is the 1894 "The Limited" with a 16" unported Micro-Groove barrel, 1:38 twist, straight stock. I'm guessing its date of manufacture is 1997. It's almost exactly like the "P" version but without the big recoil pad, Micro-Groove and no ports.

I haven't tried the other cast bullet styles yet. Lot's of jacketed though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My standard 1894 has fed the 240 and 280 WFN fairly well. A few times I've had a failure to feed but I can never duplicate the failure. This has always been when firing from the bench. I'll put down to operator error and or shooting position I guess.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentlemen....You can ignore this post now! It took me about two hours of study and about one hour to correct the problem! I was wrong! It is not the hump on the back of the lifter as I thought and now I don't think there are more than one lifter design out there. My 1894P will even feed the ashcan OWC's slick! Thank all of you for your time! Best Regards, James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts