Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here! Looks like a good place to ask my question.

A long time ago a vendor on ebay was selling a mold that cast 4 lead pellets connected to each other in a ring. Three or four of these (I can't remember how many)could be stacked on top of each other so that the pellets were in a staggered pattern. This stack of rings would fit precisely into a 12 guage hull. The idea was that the individual pellets would hold a tighter pattern due to being bound together during the trip down the bore of the gun. Supposedly they broke apart during flight or upon impact.

My question is does anyone know where to buy this mold?

thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Keep watching, they come up on there from time to time still. I saw one about two month ago. I don't really see the utility in the unit, except for a novelty type round. If you cast the "clusters" from pure lead, as you would buckshot, it's still going to deform and make for a poor pattern. The only thing more inneficient ballistically than a round ball, would be four of them attached together. You'd probably be way ahead of the game looking for a 4 cavity 00 size roundball mould. It certainly wouldn't cost you what he was getting for those moulds.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I cast my own buckshot with two Lee moulds. They are inexpensive 2 cavity .310 roundball moulds. I cast as a stess relief thing, the repetative motion is calming. They stack three per layer 4 deep in a 12ga. shotcup. It doesn't take long to cast a container full.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kciH said:
Keep watching, they come up on there from time to time still. I saw one about two month ago. I don't really see the utility in the unit, except for a novelty type round. If you cast the "clusters" from pure lead, as you would buckshot, it's still going to deform and make for a poor pattern. The only thing more inneficient ballistically than a round ball, would be four of them attached together. You'd probably be way ahead of the game looking for a 4 cavity 00 size roundball mould. It certainly wouldn't cost you what he was getting for those moulds.
I do remember that they were bid quite high. Good point about the ballistic inefficiency. It didn't occur to me that way, but it makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, if a person were to cast 30 caliber balls out of wheel weights might that make a ball less prone to deformity and, therefore, slightly better at holding a pattern?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigfoot said:
I cast my own buckshot with two Lee moulds. They are inexpensive 2 cavity .310 roundball moulds. I cast as a stess relief thing, the repetative motion is calming. They stack three per layer 4 deep in a 12ga. shotcup. It doesn't take long to cast a container full.
I have been eyeing the lee ball mold too. I have been using Lee molds for pistol bullets and I like them.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your recipe for a buckshot load? I am talking home defense, not hunting. I would even go with a smaller ball if I could find the mold, but I think .30 caliber is as small as they get.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
Would be very surprised if the ring-ball set up worked well. Don't see how they would break up evenly, and don't think it possible for them to greak up smoothly, and the only thng that keeps a round ball kind of on course is it being actually round.

One advantage to casting your own is being able to use somewhat harder lead...does help patterns (better at keeping the ball round) but does lighten the ball.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
Jeff, the Lyman shotshell manual has buckshot loads. Too many variables in terms of crimps, hulls, primers, etc., to try and list them here.

I believe our friend Mr. James Gates has done some work with buckshot and hopefully he can comment on the use of wheelweights for casting materials in this application.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I use Chedite hulls, the super high brass. Only because they are easy to identify. I have cast the buckshot from a hardening alloy and hardened them, they worked well from a cylinder bore barrel but I worried about one finding it's way into a choked barrel, now they are cast from soft lead. I use chedite hulls, Win f114 wads, and WSF powder. Weigh the shot and look for a load of the same weight/components. I have fired many hundreds out of a Rem 870 with 20" cylinder barrel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MikeG said:
Jeff, the Lyman shotshell manual has buckshot loads. Too many variables in terms of crimps, hulls, primers, etc., to try and list them here.

I believe our friend Mr. James Gates has done some work with buckshot and hopefully he can comment on the use of wheelweights for casting materials in this application.

I used to have several shotgun loading books. I'll have to get a new copy. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bigfoot said:
I use Chedite hulls, the super high brass. Only because they are easy to identify. I have cast the buckshot from a hardening alloy and hardened them, they worked well from a cylinder bore barrel but I worried about one finding it's way into a choked barrel, now they are cast from soft lead. I use chedite hulls, Win f114 wads, and WSF powder. Weigh the shot and look for a load of the same weight/components. I have fired many hundreds out of a Rem 870 with 20" cylinder barrel.
As far as hardened buckshot and a choked barrel. Is it a safety issue, or might it damage the gun? Seems like the hardened alloy is a good idea in terms of the pellets retaining their shape.

Slightly off topic. What about using hardened lead for muzzle loading balls? Since they are undersized and patched, it seems like a good idea. I like to plink with round balls, and hunt with pointed projectiles.

Does anyone have any experience with Lee's REAL bullets? R-rifling E-engraved A-at L-loading?

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
Jeff:

haven't used buck shot that was cast rock hard...have used it reasonably (wheel weight )hard and have found it to pattern a bit better...about as well as the expensive ni. plated buck shot.. Choke damage...guess it could be more damaging than soft lead, bue have difficulty believing it's more damaging than coarse steel shot...if it's steel rated, wouldn't sweat it.

As for harder lead in patched muzzle loader use...so long as it isn't too hard, will usually shoot pretty well...but as it gets harder, it does load much harder. that patch does compress the ball slightly as you load it...and hard lead resists that compression (just load a soft lead ball then pull it with a worm...will find spots of compression for each land with the weave of the patch impressed into the ball).

REAL bullets are another one that needs to be softer lead 9but not pure lead). Do have to engrave them when loading...and the harder the lead, the more they resist engravemnt...add some fouling and they really resist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ribbonstone said:
Jeff:

haven't used buck shot that was cast rock hard...have used it reasonably (wheel weight )hard and have found it to pattern a bit better
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Being that nickle plated shot, the good hunting stuff, has up to 6% antimony in the smaller sizes, and is safe to fire in full choke barrels with NO shotcup, I would have to imagine wheelweight cast buckshot wouldn't be a problem. You probably don't want to water quench the stuff to make it really hard, but I doubt the even that would cause a problem. Your best bet might be to get a loading book from ballisticproducts.com. These guys are the source for shotshell loading data and components that you'll seldom find anywhere else. Maybe I should say you'll NEVER find anywhere else. They have reasonable prices and products that they produce that no one else has that serve specialized needs. They have a buckshot loading manual that is at the bottom of this page. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/a1BPHome/t2-prodcatagories/Prod_Publications/t3-manuals/manuals.htm

If they don't list it in the manual, give them a call and ask, they'll tell you, if they haven't developed data for it, it's not likely anyone has. If they dont' have it, you probably don't want it. I'm affiliated with this company in no way, except as a very satisfied customer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts