Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to load buckshot according to a recipe in the Lyman 5th edition shotshell manual. I have Winchester compression formed cases in 3", and the load is 12 pellets of 00 inside a Remington SP12 wad. I can't get the shot to stack up 3x3 unless I cut the petals off the wad. I wonder if that is what they intended? Also, I can get the same wad height without petals by stacking BPI BPGS gas seals, does that sound doable? I'm using Hornady 00 buck, and it seems pretty spherical and consistent.

·
Registered
416 Posts
There is no 12 Gauge shotcup that will take stacks of 3 if you're loading true (.33") 00 Buckshot. The way the commercial loads do it is use shot arouns .317" and call it "00". That is within SAAMI tolerance for 00, but it seems to me to be pretty deceptive.

You can cut the petals off. Stacks in 3s nicely that way. Or, you can use a Overpowder card wad and fiber filler wad. That way creates a slightly more stable platform for the shot. I wouldn't try stacking a bunch of gas seals. Might not hurt anything but it just don't seem natural.

DC

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured the petals would never work out. It's interesting that the factory shot-cup loads use a smaller shot. BTW, BPI reccomends stacking the gas seals but there is no info on this particular load. I'm a bit paranoid about substituting shotshell components. The "word" on shotshells is strict adherence to recipes.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Handloading buckshot is an interesting process, even if precision varmit loads are your favorite handloading hobby.

I find a shot cup to be a big advantage, throw in some buffer, and patterns get even better. 00 is good stuff, but a dose of 0 is very close, and fits in a cup much easier with the petals on. On the other hand, 8 pellets of 00, in a WAA12 wad, and BPI buffer will usually put more pellets in a 12" circle at 25yds, or an 18" circle at 40yds, flying faster, than most 9 & 12 pellet 2 3/4" loads. A 10 pellet 3" load might do the same.

Just a thought.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
This isn't stacking gas seals but it is nonetheless interesting. Isn't buckshot either but shows how strange shotgun shell loads can get. These are old Peters factory spreader loads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts