Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,911 Posts
I have used #2 on coyotes and had superb results. Recently I hit a coyote with 1-3/8 oz of #4 copper plated lead at about 40 yards and I have never seen a dog drop so fast and not even quiver. I have recently been re-thinking my old love of 12 pellets of 00 buck buffered in a 3-inch shell. Coyotes have really thin skin and not a very tough body/bone structure and #2 lead or even BB would be great, I think. I might just get a jar of nickel BB for my next load of coyote rounds. In response to the above question about cushions and buffers, I think buffer is extra important in big shot sizes, but I have not seen much advantage in felt cushions except in tuning shot column height. FWIW, I have what has to be one of the cheapest Remington factory extended turkey chokes available for my 870, and it really performs well even with 00 buck loads.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
I haven't officially patterned it on paper, but the Winchester Super-X 12-pellet 3-inch loads shoot very tight patterns from my setup. At about 40 yards, I put 7 out of 12 into the chest and shoulders of a coyote with a straight-on frontal shot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.