Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,367 Posts
Ridgerunner,

That cache of nickel plated BB's sounds like powerful coyote venom to me!  I've killed literally a pickup truck load of coyotes with handloaded magnum #2's, and had complete penetration at fifty yards on broadside coyotes.  What I love about the #2's and BB's is that you don't have to sew up the hides after skinning.  Simply use a safety pin to pull the hair back through the holes and you're done.

I've also used a fair amount of #4 buck on yellow-dogs, but haven't found it to be any more lethal than the #2's or BB's, and with no further effective range due to sparse pattern density.  Actually, the shot loads seemed to put them down faster than the #4 buck in every instance I remember.

Although I love big-bore rifles and heavy hitting handguns, there's nothing quite like a shotgun for night-time predator calling!  It's especially comforting when calling in an area with above average concentrations of cougar.  In fact I'm working on putting together a shotgun specially outfitted for just that purpose for use on late-spring and early summer coyotes when they are most vulnerable as they teach the young pups to hunt.

Too, thanks to Mr. Gates, I'm abandoning my habit of folded crimps and turning to roll crimps for my serious-about-killing-something shotshell handloads.  Time consuming to put together, but when coyote or turkey hunting, you don't shoot a box of shells per outing either.

Great fun!  Let us know how your project comes along.  

God Bless,

Marshall

· Premium Member
3,367 Posts
I've never used #F buck before.  I'd really be interested in your results.  I guess we can get caught in a rut, or just keep using what works for us, but the #F buck might be an interesting deviation from the norm, and quite effective too.

Let us know how they pattern for you!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.