Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know why everyone thinks you need to drop 4 to 5 grand to get enough accuracy to shoot to 1000 and beyond. here is my latest video of my 300 dollar remington 770 chambered in 300 win mag. i know this rifle if very poorly designed in the action with a plastic bolt bushing and all the sticking issues but it can still produce very accurate fire as long as your not in a hurry because the bolts reliability to slide in the bushing is poor. but anyways with handloads concisting of 208 BTHP hornady match bullets seated at 3.57" over 75 gr H1000 i am getting sub inch 5 shot groups at 100 meters.

here is a vid of me shooting a propane tank at 1247 yards multiple times. a couple misses when the wind gusted but still awesome for a 300 dollar rifle.

REM 770 1250 YARDS CENTER MASS LONG RANGE SHOOTING - YouTube

·
Registered
193 Posts
i don't know why everyone thinks you need to drop 4 to 5 grand to get enough accuracy to shoot to 1000 and beyond.
Before I opened this post, I thought it might be a question on what to buy. I was going to mention a Savage I saw today on sale for $225. :p
It doesn't have a scope but I've found that $130 scopes work well enough.

Good shooting!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya my savage axis is amazing so i bought a 12fcv 223 and no where near as accurate. kinda disappointed

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm working on a .30-06 Handi Rifle set up for this range. ;) Going to compete in a ex-military/police shoot hopefully this year. ;)

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
If I were looking for a "cheap" long-range rifle to shoot, I would certainly take a very hard look at the SAVAGE rifles. They are some of the most accurate factory rifles right out of the box.

If your going to try to build or put together a project rifle that will indeed be accurate enough out to 1200 yds, I think you need to rethink your expenses just a wee bit. You will NOT get it done for less than $1,500 bucks!!!:D Your rifle scope will set you back around the $400 dollar or better mark.

A first class stainless barrel is another $400 to $600 dollars. The action figure $400 to $700 more. Ummmmmmmm the stock, depending wood or plastic will cost you another $300 to $800 (good walnut blank) so there is a lot to consider

You can purchase a new Savage with stainless barrel for under $800!:cool:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Here is a 4 shot group I shot just yesterday at 200 yards with my inexpensive rifle and scope from the late 60's. It has a 1916 Mauser 98 action, a 27 inch Federal barrel that only cost $35 back then, a Timney trigger ($50 back then), and a glass bedded stock I carved myself from a walnut blank while a graduate student at UVa. Scope is a Redfield 3200 24X that cost about $160 back then). It is a 7mm Remington magnum firing 160 grain HP Sierra bullets. First barrel wore out in about 2000 rounds. Rifle was rebarreled and sat unused from 1970 until late 2013. The powder I use was purchased in the late 60's and is H4831 but I now have less than 1 pound remaining.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If I was going to build a rifle and keep it reasonable, I'd get a Marlin "X" gun and use that action as the basis for the build.

All my "X" guns are crazy accurate with excellent triggers, and every "X" gun I've seen shot is also very accurate.

You should be able to keep things under $1000 with everything but the scope.

While "inexpensive" factory guns are fun to play with at long ranges, if you get into serious long range target shooting, I doubt you can "stay in the money" without spending something on the gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts