Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just shot 30 rounds of the new Buffalo Bore ammo through my Marlin 336 which has a cut-down 19" barrel. Velocity was in the 2071 to 2106 range out of this short tube. Once sighted-in, I was shooting two-inch groups at 100 yards. There is more recoil with this round of course -- for those of you who don't know, this Buffalo Bore offering is a 240-grain JFN. I think it is safe to say this cartridge does what Tim Sundles say s it does. Namely shoot at 2200 fps (out of a regular barrel) and kill large game in the 150-200 yard range.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Glad to hear it. Sundles does make some quality stuff!!
Mark

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ezra

Whoops. Meant to say 220-grain. Been one of those fuzzy days. I blame this on getting up to watch the 5 a.m. replay of last night's performance of the National Finals Rodeo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
Thanks for the report, we .35 Rem shooters appreciate it!

By the way, I can report that 3 grains of Bullseye is sufficient to propel a 148gr wadcutter rolled in LBT lapping compound. Shot 20 of them last weekend without any being stuck in the barrel, and no leading either.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Sunday Creek
I to can atest to Buffalo Bore ammo in my 45LC Win 94-325gr PB loads are excellant and powerfull 1800 FPS out a 20" barrel an over a ton of energy! Great ammo-but exspensive I love thier brass for reloads as well- I do believe its Starline!!

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Sunday Creek
This is a pretty good load when you look at it. A 19" barrel is short and 2100 fps is high stepen!
My best loads (accuracy/pressure wise) for the 220 Speer give 2360 and 2225 fps in the my 20" barrel .356. I could maybe make them go faster but these work well and they are not much different from Buffalo Bores design goal. A 100 fps difference in chronographing loads is not much difference over an average of several five or ten shot groups.
You have a handy rifle that is a real powerhouse. What kind of powder do you think they are using? Do you get much muzzle flash? I am only asking because one of my loads uses H335 and there is a pretty good muzzle flash. The other uses IMR 4198 and there is a tongue of fire but reasonable flash

·
Beartooth Regular
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
William - I am not noticing much muzzle flash and I'm not sure what powder Tim is using but I think I will take a cartridge to the old fellow I bought this rifle from and let him pull the bullet and take a look. He's seen enough powders in his lifetime he may recognize it. I may get a chance to shoot a buffalo cow and calf in the next few days -- they've been grazing free on us for about six months -- and I will probably use my Guide Gun and a Garrett load, but I am tempted to use this .35.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Sunday Creek,
Its probably not important for us to know, keeping some magic in the world!
My experiance with the 220 Speer (if thats what Buffalo Bore is using) is that it is enough bullet for about anything. You are not overdriving it so it will not over expand. It is in its "operating range" velocity wise so I'll bet you would not have any regrets. Why not use them both?

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I'd like to bring this thread up to date if I may, as there have been some recent discussion on reloading and heavy loads affecting the brass, pressure, and the use of small primers for rifle cartridges. I have used Buffalo Bore's ammo for several years, first in my Marlin 336 .35 Remington and recently last May for my Marlin 1894 Cowboy Comp. .45, both of which dropped the hogs in their tracks, with one bullet killing two hogs at once.
Sunday Creek, I wonder if you'd be kind enough to update us your experience with the heavy .35 rem, as well as any observations about the size and type of primer? Anyone else that has used BB's ammo, whatever caliber that may be, is welcome to comment as well, as I think we all would like to hear your personal observations and thoughts.
Mike G., if this needs to be moved to another part of the forum or even retitled, your assistance would be greatly appreciated as well.
William
Sunday Creek said:
Just shot 30 rounds of the new Buffalo Bore ammo through my Marlin 336 which has a cut-down 19" barrel. Velocity was in the 2071 to 2106 range out of this short tube. Once sighted-in, I was shooting two-inch groups at 100 yards. There is more recoil with this round of course -- for those of you who don't know, this Buffalo Bore offering is a 240-grain JFN. I think it is safe to say this cartridge does what Tim Sundles say s it does. Namely shoot at 2200 fps (out of a regular barrel) and kill large game in the 150-200 yard range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts