Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using this Buffalo Rifle powder to replace the very expensive Accurate 5744? I ordered some from Graf's today, I just can't bear up under the strain of $41 a pound for powder.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,470 Posts
What are you loading? Bullet, rifle etc.

I was going to try 5744 (45-70 and cst bullets) but like you don't like the price so I use 2400 instead.

RJ

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,815 Posts
Never heard of the Buffalo powder. Does it compare with 5744? All my loads have been reduced using 5744, so my small hoard of it is going fast.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now days I mostly shoot cast in the .308 and the .35 Whelen. I shoot them pretty steady with cast compared the jacketed rounds. I probably shoot 5 pounds a year through them, it adds up too quickly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've spent what time I could this week trying Buffalo powder in my .35 Whelen. I think it's a winner. It's pretty much the same performance for weight, though maybe a tad slower. If you shoot 45-70, 40-65 or 38-55 they have a few loads printed on the bottle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've spent what time I could this week trying Buffalo powder in my .35 Whelen. I think it's a winner. It's pretty much the same performance for weight, though maybe a tad slower. If you shoot 45-70, 40-65 or 38-55 they have a few loads printed on the bottle.
Good to know. Thank you.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I talked to a guy at the wanenmacher's gun show in Tulsa a few weeks ago about the shooters world powders. He had a booth set up and had several different brands of powder. He said he was the head powder tester for alliant powder. He gave me the brochure with the load data in it and it says" lovex" on the front of it. He claims that the company who is making it is the same company who was making alliant's powder and after alliant changed to someone else these guys started making their own. Supposedly based out of the Czech republic. I bought a pound of the precision powder to try. He said that the company had taken 4 lots of varget and matched their powder to the burn rate of it. He claimed that it's the best powder out, and when I gave him a look, he said it was more stable, easier to meter, and $5 a lb cheaper. I plan to test some in my 22-250 and see how it performs.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I can understand the concept of the cost of powder being a "strain" at some high price per pound. However, in the grand scheme of shooting and hunting I can't seem to get on board with powder being too expensive at just about any price per pound. Unless you're shooting a very high volume of rounds per year such as in trap, skeet, sporting clays, etc, it seems like a moot point. So far this year I've read several posts on different sites about the cost of BlackHorn 209 and it being only a ten ounce bottle. The posters said they won't use it because of the high price. I shot three deer with my muzzle loader this year and used up four shots doing it. Three at deer and one to empty the gun at the end of the season. I think I took three or four shots checking zero before the season. I'm on my third year with that bottle. During that time I've probably spent several thousands of dollars on food plots, hunting licenses, cloths, hotels, food, taxes on my hunting property, etc, etc, etc. The cost of the BH209 fell right out of the equation. For my 45-70 rifles I use 5744 and have found several excellent loads with this powder. My hunting loads use it. For any type of volume shooting with my Sharps, High Wall, and lever guns, I play around with Unique and 2400 quite a bit. What I'm actually "saving" on those powders over the 5744 is the difference in cost between two. I'm not rich or wasteful, but I sometimes think we drive frugality to the extreme in the grand scheme of things. I'm not criticizing anyone's being frugal or cost conscious, but sometimes you just have to take a look at the bigger picture. How much is it actually costing you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
While checking some powders in Quickload for my 30 carbine, I noticed that Accurate 5744 and Shooters World Buffalo Rifle appear to be the same powder. When switching between the 2 in QL none of the numbers changed at all. When I pulled up the pictures of both, they appear identical. I cant say they ARE the same powder but QL sure seems to think so.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,186 Posts
They are not the same powder, at least not in the past several years.
Buffalo is made by Explosia in the Czech part of the world, and 5744 is a General Dynamics powder from the Quebec plant.

They do have a similar burning rate, which from a fixed volume bomb test such as what Hartmut relies on for many powders; they could look the same. Limited bomb testing is one of the troubles with estimators. Great for a general idea, not for specifics.

Cheers

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,470 Posts
Sounds about like RL15 and IMR4064

RJ

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm using it as a 5744 sub in .416. I am finding very similar velocities and consider it a direct substitute in this caliber and suspect it would be in most if not all large capacity cases.

As always, start at min -10% using 5744 data and slowly work up for your firearm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts