Shooters Forum banner

Bullberry/Woodsmith stocks?

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  kdub 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally completed the finish on my Contender Carbine stock set that I got from Bullberry/Woodsmith. It's the first time I've finished a gunstock in about 18 years, so I think it turned out OK. This is their utility grade wood, the cheapest, how does this compare to the standard contender stocks you've seen? These where $100 and the elbow grease to finish them. This stock set actually fits an adult shooter and enable the use of a scope with your cheek on the stock.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Mike,

I used Tru-Oil and the Stock Sheen that comes with the finishing kit from Birchwood Casey. I didn't use the stain, as I felt the contrast looked nice, especially with the SS receiver. I used that kit on the advice of Fred from Bullberry. My wife likes it so much she thinks this is "her" rifle now.

#4 ·
That is a very nice grain, and I agree, the contrast is nice without being too far one way or the other.

#6 ·
DOK,
I just followed the instructions that came with the kit. It took a bit of time, as I made some mistakes (drips in the finish). There was little more involved than some reading and the work itself. Patience is required.

I was looking at Bullberry's site last night and realized the pricing was a little more than what I paid when I got these. The difference between this and the TC stocks, which do not work well with a scope, amounted to about $20. They make the length of pull to your spec, or to what they estimate to be best for your height, and it is FAR superior to the TC products in that sense.

I hope the Bullberry barrel will still shoot in .5's with my new stocks, I don't doubt it will. I'll put that to rest this weekend. It will be very nice to shoot with stocks that don't come to your chin, instead of cheek, when shooting with a scope.

Steven

#8 ·
You did a great job on the woodwork, KciH -

The contrast DOES look nice. Fred White and his son do know their stuff and I doubt you'll be disappointed in the barrel's accuracy.

I sent them a black walnut blank that had been hoarded for over 30 years (well seasoned, you think?) and had the same configuration done. Also, had them mount a Burris Signature posi-lock 1.75x6 scope on one of their .375 Winchester barrels. They did an outstanding job on all items. I get lots of compliments on the carbine when at the range.

#9 ·
I really liked the way this barrel shot when I had it in some synthetic TC stocks originally. Now, I really like to shoot the rifle. All the accuracy is still there, same barrel and floating forend setup, but it is much easier to utilize with the new stock. In addition to function, I really like the looks of it. Shooting ballons, about 8" in diameter at 200 yds, offhand, I was amazed at how user friendly it is. I'm not a great offhand shot, but this rifle makes it seem easier than ever before. I still use the Contender for pistol length barrels the most, but I might have to grab another frame for that, as I like this one alot. I traded my used blued Contender frame and $25 for a new Encore stainless frame that I've yet to put a barrel on. I think I may get a Contender frame while the getting is good, as I prefer the looks of the non-G2 style.

#10 ·
Great looking carbine! Curious... what caliber and barrel length is that?

At one time I had played around w/ a 21" barrel Contender Carbine in 7-30 Waters. Gun never really felt right w/ the standard (factory) taper barrel. Too light really. The set-up you've got there looks like it'd be much more easier to keep on target.

Thanks in advance.

#12 ·
Gee, Steven -

I had a 6.5 Bullberry carbine barrel, also!

Had a problem with neck/shoulder splits when fireforming until Fred made me a long taper neck reducing die and I learned to anneal the cases.

What weight bullets are you shooting? Think I've still got some boxes of light weight .264 bullets left over from when I sold the rig and dies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.