Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those of you that have been at this hobby for a while will probably remember Lee used to sell something that I called 'Bullet Cutters'. They were tubes that had an inner diameter of .356. .357, .358, etc. What they were for was you sat the finished cast bullets in a pan and filled the pan with your favorite lube, to just above the top grease groove on the bullet. When the lube hardened, you pushed the bullet cutter tube down over the bullet, cutting the bullet from the lube. The grease groove would be filled with lube, and the bullet would be clean as the tube was the exact size of the bullet.

I haven't seen any of those in years, and I want a bullet cutting tube in .358. Anyone have any ideas what I can substitute as a Bullet cutter tube with an inner diameter of .358, or does anyone know where one of the originals may be found?
Thanks in advance .........

Ohio Rusty ><>

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,711 Posts
Fired .35 Rem, .358 Win, .35 Whelen case.... etc. Cut off near the head (or just drill through it with something larger than the bullet and solder some sort of handle on.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
That process is called cookie cutter lubrication. I think Lee dropped it about the time they came up with their Liquid Alox lube. It's so much easier to apply, there's no contest. The only advantage the cookie cutters and Lyman style lubrisizers have is the bullet nose stays clean. You have to take a rag with a little mineral spirits on it to clean the noses of Liquid Alox, if it bothers you?

As Mike suggested, you can use a case. You can also go to most any hobby shop of the real kind (model airplanes and trains, not ceramics, needle point supplies, and dried flowers) and find a display of telescoping brass tubing. Take a bullet in your pocket and see which tube fits over it best?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I found one of these in my junk drawer the other day. Don't remember when I got it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can also go to most any hobby shop of the real kind (model airplanes and trains, not ceramics, needle point supplies, and dried flowers)
Poking around in a good hobby shop is almost as much fun as poking around in a gun shop. Those craft stores just don't cut the mustard

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a fellow that still makes those bullet cutters. He calls them kake Kutters. I ordered one in .359. I'll have it next week sometime and I look forward to getting some bullets lubed. I received my Lyman 115 grain mould and I cast up about 50 bullets from a homemade #2 alloy. They cast up real nice, crisp lube grooves, no wrinkles and sharp edge on the base. My lube is a 50/50 mix of JPW and beeswax. Things are coming together .... now to get those pills loaded in some cases and primers popped. I have 250 empties primed and ready to load ...
Ohio Rusty ><>

·
Registered
926 Posts
Your post ran a bell and checking one of my tool drawers I found it. It's called a Lyman KAKE KUT. Came in various sizes, the one I have is marked 311. Lyman made these tools long before lee came into being.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts