Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Does anyone have a good method for testing expansion and penetration of a bullet?

I would be interested im any methods you have used before.

I have heard of wet phone books, buckets of water, cow skulls, etc....

I have a 7mm round, 168 gr boattail hollow point @ 2950 fps that I would like to test. I have always used 175 gr softpoints, but like how the 168 bt hp shoots. I am worried about expansion and penetration.

BTW. I know this round goes clean through an elk head at 50 yards and make about a 2" exit wound, and goes clean through three 2x6 and railroad tie at 100yrds with little to no expansion.

Thanks Tim

·
Banned
554 Posts
In this month's "Handloader," Barsness talks about using two 12"x18" cardboard boxes filled with 3 grocery bags containing 6" of dry newspaper in each bag.

@50yds, he says normal bullets usually get wedged in the second bag and high end penetrators can go thru the whole box (reason for box #2). He says wet newsprint is too easy on the bullets and they all come out perfect mushrooms. The dry apparently takes apart weak bullets. You get 4-6 shots at each box.

Seems to be good for relative pen testing. I'm kinda surprised that the cup-and-core bullets only make it through the first bag -- 6" and partitions only 18". Let us know how it comes out if you try it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
Seyfried has previously recommended the wet newsprint, with a big chunk of bone near the front. Sounds like a pretty reasonable setup to me, and cheap enough. Plus you can move the bone around to find out what will happen on different shot angles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts