Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using straight WW's to cast my bullets. This if I understand right is softer than Lyman#2 alloy?????Is this the right asumption?

·
Banned
507 Posts
Yes WWs are softer than Lyman #2. I find that WWs alloy bullets do shoot well for me. I use the Lyman #2 for high speed rifle bullets, ones that go above 1,600 FPS.

Jerry

·
Super Moderator
13,451 Posts
According to Lyman's handbook, wheelweight alloy has a brinnel hardness number (BHN) of 9, while #2 alloy has a BHN of 15.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some bars of something here. I am not sure what they are and don't know how to tell. Maybe someone here could shed some light on what it might be.

I have some ingots that have been poured in to a mold that is 14" long X 2" wide. The material can be scratched with your nail but you really have to press hard to make a scratch. On the face of the bar it has a C and a flower then an S. It has some numbers on the back that says 10SB90PB....

Any idea guys please let me know

Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I think I may have my answer.

I think what I have is

10%SB (Antimony)
90%PB (Pure Lead)

What if anything should I add to this to make great bullets. Keep in mind I am shooting out of a Uberti Sharps 45/70 and not hot loads

·
Banned
21 Posts
He's right, add some tin, up to 5% or so, which will then bring your Sb down where you want it. You'll get a more even alloy and a good hard bullet that will be very close to a #2 alloy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. You are the best.
I now have al of my materials to make some good bullets.

BTY a friend called me today and wanted to know if I wanted some pure lead. I said yes. When I went to pick it up, it was 350lbs of pure sheet lead. A great find........Should keep me stocked for a while

·
Banned
507 Posts
I would add maybe 5% or more to make this close the Lyman #2 or add 10% and it will get near Linotype in hardness.

Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts