Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking some things in Quickload, found that the bullet length for the .358 200gr. round nose Remington bullet comes up as zero. Anybody see this? Can you tell me what length Quickload shows this bullet for you, if it's not zero?

I could pull down a .35 Rem round and find out, but find this to be strange. I don't know if I accidentally zeroed this out, or if it's a bug with my install.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Mike

My bullet lengths are missing for both the SP and PSP in QL. I opened my copy of "Load From A Disk" to get the bullet lengths from that programs database, which is as good as QL for the larger bullet companies, and the lengths are missing there too! I guess it wasn't in the data Remington sent to either of these outfits!

In QL it is easy to update the bullet file once you measure a bullet. I have a bunch handy at home but I'm out flying a trip.

·
38,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No urgency. I just thought I had messed something up!

Suspect the value is within 0.050" of a comparable cup-and-core round nose; the next one in the list is a Sierra and I may just substitute that. For the pointed bullet I would have no idea but don't use those anyway.

Let me know when you get back home, if it's not any trouble.

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
Lots of bullet lengths are missing in QL and a number of them aren't very accurate. I surmize that Hartmut can't afford to buy all the different bullets, so I'm guessing he relies on measuring photos and illustrations. They aren't available for everything, so I think he just fills in the other data he can.

Bullet lengths are also needed for stability calculations, so JBM ballistics has started a length table to use with their version of Don Miller's calculator. Follow my link or go to the JBM site and look at the top bar for Lengths and click on that.

It's a work in progress, and I don't see that .358 there yet. If you get one and measure it, they have a submission form.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I have a box of Remington bulk bullets and I measure it as .906” overall. I measure .301” from the base to the bottom of the cannelure.

I have some Sierra and Hornady bullets. The Hornadys are open. I measure it .890” oal. I measure .305” from the base to the top of the cannelure.

I know these are two different measurements for the cannelure but my eyes are bad and this is the best look under this light for my eyes. I can take them out side tomorrow and get a precise measurement.

Want me to open the Sierras?

·
38,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quickload is a software package that helps in estimating load data. Very useful.

William, thanks for the data. The Hornady data matches what you have given, plus or minus a couple of thousandths. Close enough.

You can check the Sierras if you want to, but don't do it on my account. I only needed the Rems.

Thanks again!

·
38,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the bullet file edited and it works great. It surprises me how many bullets that have incomplete data; however, I guess if you have the bullet on hand then it isn't a big deal to enter it.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Bullet lenght and bearing surface changes as the dies that make them wear.

These pictures of different lots of Nosler Accubonds clear illistrate this

IMHO the ability to imput the acctual lenghts is the most accurate

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quick load is more versatile – and complicated. It pays to be a member of a user group when starting off.
Snow uses Load from a Disk and has sent me several screen prints. From the looks of it is a good program with a very short learning curve.
I use the Powley Computer – slide rule – and the Powley math on a personal program with look-up tables.
For many years I id not have enough computer to use Quick load. Now that I have enough computer I have other more pressing priorities.
If you have enough computer to run it – and most everyone seems to – and you spend your evenings thinking about wildcats and what-ifs Quick Load is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
14,106 Posts
Bird Dog II,

LFD is an older program based on the Powley formulas rather than a burning model that responds to detailed powder characteristics as arguments. It is half the cost and about 1/5 the level of sophistication. For example:

LFD FAQ said:
Q. Can Load From a Disk users enter their own powder type and load data?
A. No. The math model uses an 86% to 90% load density with pressures of 40,000 CUP to 50,000 CUP to produce optimum loads for a given cartridge. Not all powders fit this criteria for a given cartridge. The program will generate load data for 5 to 10 different powders.
QuickLOAD has no such limitations. You can run lighter loads and compressed loads in it and a huge selection of powders. You can alter powders in the database. In this way you can often bring velocity predictions to under a percent precision in your particular gun. You can even create your own powders (not for beginners).

The program also comes with two separate exterior ballistics programs at no extra charge. Unlike LFD, these are not limited to G1 ballistic coefficients. The more complex of the two will even let you create your own drag function files for specific bullets, if you are up to that sort of thing?

If not, LFD is still a very useful program, provided you are willing to work within its limitations.

Jwp475,

QuickLOAD uses bullet length and boattail shape together with COL and case length to determine how deeply the bullet sits in the case? This is to figure out how much powder space the bottom of the bullet takes up for the pressure calculations. It has no inputs for throat position or freebore length, so it can't do anything with ogive position. Not yet, anyway. Perhaps in some future version?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.