Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the area of the gas check shank that remains after a check is seated considered to be a lube groove also? Is it necessary to lube this area also?

I try to lube this area but wonder if it is a wasted excersize and I should just worry about getting the lube in the actual lube groove only.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
If at all possible get some lubricant in the remaining space above the gas check!  It will help more than you know.   While not absolutely necessary, it does help in high intensity loads!

You are on the right track!

Let us know how you like your new Star sizer!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I love both of them Marshall. I've had one for 5 and one for 6 years.

You might have me mixed up with Matt C. I'm not sure which Lubrisizer he decided to settle with.

Thanks though for the advice as I was never sure about the check shank lubrication. Between this and your advice as to sizing nose first, they will be like using new machines again.

:cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
It was me asking about the best sizer.  Just got the magama catalog in the mail.  Its &#36157 plus looks like you have to get a punch for &#3632.  I am thinking about getting it, seems like one of those things you only have to buy once if you do it right.  

If anyone is inot big production, someone is selling a magma lubemaster for 5,700 on the shooterstalk cast bullet forum.    

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Here's an interesting problem, relating to bullet lube.
Last fall I ran out of my favorite 357 bullet. It's a 140 grain SWC from a Saeco mold. I bought some Speer 158 SWC, loaded 6.5 grains of Unique behind them and during the warm Virginia fall I had a very accurate load. There was no leading, the barrel was clean as a whistle.
This past week end I went out and shot several hundred of the little buggers and the barrel looked like some one veneered my barrel with tree bark.
I'm thinking that the 40 Degree temp affected the lubes ability to prevent leading.
Does this make sense?
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts