Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good preparation to prevent rust? i have used many preparations but they all seem to take many castings until they completely burn off. any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Foy my purposes, I simply dip both halves of the bullet mold (idividually) into a container of Ed's Red Bore Cleaner (see article: http://beartoothbullets.com/tips/archive_tips.htm/53), and then put the mold halves together and set them to drain on a quadrupled paper towel for about half an hour.  Rubber-band the halves together and put away.

The Ed's Red leaves a fine rust inhibiting coating on all surfaces of the mold which is easily cleaned off with a shot of brake cleaner as Jack mentioned above.

Works for me!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
For long term storage of bullet molds I use a product from the Kellog Company called 'Kel'. For all the world it looks like wd40 with cosmoline. I use it once a year on all my blued firearms and never have rust.
For short term rust prevention I use mineral oil. It's good for what even ails ya and if you put it on the bullet mold after it's cooled a bit, it makes a nice rust preventer. It will burn off or can be boiled off or the usual solvents will remove it.
Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
dickwholliday said:
i've found that the Midway mold prep which i guess is spray graphite seems to hold rust off and your molds are always ready to go.....Dick
I concur with one minor factor to deal with. The Midway Drop Out Mold Release builds up enough residue in the area where the meplat meets the ogive (SWC/WC) and consequently has to be carefully removed with a WOODEN toothpick in order for the perimeter of the meplat to remain sharp. A minor inconvenience as it takes quite a bit of time for the build up to actually affect the quality of the bullets. However, it sure does protect the molds. I use it on all my molds (now over
forty molds) and only redo them once a year as a precaution.

Be safe and responsible.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rig Grease

I use Rig Grease from Sportsmans Products then rap in wax paper before putting them in away for long term storage. Brake cleaner dose a wonderful job of cleaning them up when they need to be pit back in use.

God Bless: Leon

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Here we use a gallon sized can of Ed's Red with a lid, immerse molds into the solution, then drain on paper towels for a couple hours before putting away. This has given excellent preservation of all molds. Putting them back into service is a simple spray-down of brake and clutch cleaner!

·
Registered
352 Posts
After a casting session in take some brake cleaner and a toothbrush and give the mold a good scrubbing after it cools off and give it a good bath in WD-40 after the brake cleaner has evaporated and stick them in a rubbermaid container. Before use, i again use brake cleaner and a toothbrush to remove any dirt and the resudual oil that is left over and go to town...never had a single mold rust this way.

·
Banned
5 Posts
I let the mould cool and use either Ballistol or WD-40. I have a Paul Jones mould, as well as Lyman and Hoch moulds and this has never failed me. I have kept moulds rust free for up to 18 months that way. It might work longer, but I have not tried it.I use Midway Dropout for my ladles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts