Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
   Just conducted a couple of tests on milk jugs filled with water, being inspired by Jack Monteith's 30-06 tests.
     The first series used a .30 caliber 174gr FNGC from Laser-Cast bullets at a muzzle velocity of 1780fps to simulate a shot with a normal velocity 30-30. Distance to jugs was 15 yards. This very hard bullet penetrated 5 jugs and bounced off the sixth. The first two jugs exploded, the third was split open and the 4th and 5th had holes in and holes out, not much bigger than caliber. The sixth jug had a dent in it but I never could find the bullet either of the times I ran this test.
      I had four jugs left at this point so I decided to try my .44 mag. This load chronographed today at 1060 with a 265gr WFNGC from Beartooth bullets. It penetrated all four jugs and buried itself in the bank behind. The first jug exploded, the second split and the other two had caliber size holes going in and 1-2" holes on the way out. The last hole popped out the indented round section on the side of the jug. The "explosion" of water was not as great as the  much faster 30-30 bullet.
       Interesting! It sure gave me a sense of confidence in either of these rounds to penetrate deeply. I would still like to do another test on wet newspaper but I haven't got the logistics sorted out yet.     See ya,            IDShooter

·
Beartooth Regular
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jack,
   They are gallon jugs and measure 6 inches across. So I got 30 inches of penetration through water.                                ID

1 - 3 of 3 Posts