Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use a hammer style bullet puller for round disassembly, is it necessary to resize the neck? Can the neck resizing, if reqd, be done without de-primeing the case?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I usually re-size the neck of a bottle neck rifle cartridge without de-priming. Without re-sizing, the next bullet will seat very easily and have low neck tension. If it's a plinking round, just seat another bullet IMO. You can resize the neck without de-priming by removing the de-cap pin from the die, BUT go slow and easy with this route. Wear PPE as needed.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
For straight wall cases, at least re-belling the case is required to start the bullet.
In the instances I've experienced, reseating a bullet after pulling, it seats too easy and I wouldn't trust it to stay put.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,799 Posts
Using a Lee depriming die, all my sizing dies have the depriming pin pulled on the expansion balls.

Yes, you should neck size all cases when the bullet is pulled.

·
Super Moderator
13,164 Posts
And yes, you can do it with the inexpensive Lee Collet Die. Just remember you'll have to either pull out or grind off its fixed decapping pin. A more expensive approach is a bushing neck sizing-only die like the Redding with the decapper removed.

Reactions: my45colt

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you use a hammer style bullet puller for round disassembly, is it necessary to resize the neck? Can the neck resizing, if reqd, be done without de-primeing the case?
Pulling bullets with a hammer ( inertia) puller will be much easier if you seat the bullet deeper into the case breaking the crimp .
I know it doesn't sound right but the broken crimp allows the bullet to release easier .
Gary

·
Registered
172 Posts
If using RCBS or Redding dies (and maybe others), you can resize normally by backing out the decapping pin so it does not touch the seated primer, but still does its job of expanding back the neck after the sizing stroke narrows it down.
This is also a technique sometimes used to minimize runout in resized cases. You'd use a Lee universal depriming die (or equivalent) to remove the primer, then do the sizing as described above. Sometimes that reduces neck runout.

Cheers,
Rex

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did a couple dozen 45 colt rounds last night. I pulled the bullets, removed the decapping pin from the sizing die, resized and flared the cases, then reloaded them. I've done the same for necked cases. If I feel I need to lube the cases I avoid the spray lubes because the primer is still in place.

As scarce as primers are right now, I'd avoid removing them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with jimp, pull the de-cap pin and resize if there are quite a few cases. If there are just a few cases and you don't want any stress, I'd just throw them into the firearm and pop them off outside in a safe manner and wear eye and hearing protection, they can be surprisingly loud. Then de-prime/resize as normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts