Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite type bullet puller? Collet or Kinetic? Is one more reliable and safer then the other?

I know what they each do, but exactly how do they work?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
306 Posts
TWO-BITS, I use both types of pullers.
With the kinetic I put a couple of cotton balls in the bottom to keep from deforming the nose of the bullets I pull. I have a piece of 6/6 block about 12 inches long that I stand on end and a couple of hard whacks will pull just about every bullet. I bought some extra "O" rings cause after age and use I have had a couple break. I took the orig one and went to an auto parts place and got some extra's.
As for the collett type I have noticed on some bullets they will leave grip marks.This dosent happen to all bullets but it does occure once in a while. I pull both lead and jacketed with both types of pullers.

Gun Runner

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Two-Bits:
It depends. If you're pulling wadcutters or many semi-wadcutters, you've got little or nothing for a collet to grip. On the other hand, if you've got a light bullet and a long neck, like on a .222, or a cemented in bullet, you'll wear out your arm before you get much done. I'm speaking from personal experience here. I've pounded out a fair number of bullets with a Midway kinetic or Quinetics type without any explosions, but maybe I've been lucky.

A couple of tips. A shellholder holds a cartridge almost as well as the collets in the kinetic types. Handy if you've got an odd sized calibre. I've pulled .30 calibre bullets with a .35 calibre Hornady collet type, although I didn't get all of them. So you don't need every collet in the book. Seating the bullet a bit deeper usually breaks the cement, if it's used, and makes pulling easier.

There's a jaw type made by Forster as well. Use it like a collet in your press. Run the bullet up into it, the jaws lock on the bullet, and pull the case down. Fastest of all, but it chews on the bullet. Perfect for de-bulleting a 1000 rounds of mil-surp, but not if you're pulling $3 a piece super premium hunting bullets.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I wasn't even thinking of WC or SWC bullets or even jacketed ones. I've been using only lead RNFP bullets in my .38 Cobra and .45 Vaquero. I haven't had to pull apart any, but I thought it might be a good idea to get a puller before I need to do some.

I've seen a kinetic one on Midway's website that looks like a hammer. Is that all you need? Just buy the "hammer" and you're set to go?

·
Registered
306 Posts
TWO BITS, the impact bullet puller that midway has uses 3 diffrent type collets, I think they come with the puller. I have two RCBS impact pullers that use only one collet to pull all rounds. The RCBS runs a little bit more. With the other type collet puller, their is a chance of a case pulling out of the shell holder and then you need a stuck case remover (RCBS has them bout 10-12 bucks) been there and done that more than once by not looking to make sure I had all the same Cal. brass.

Gun Runner

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Two-Bits:
The Midway will do, because that's what I've got :) It comes with the 3 collets and looks like a hammer. They must have got a bad batch of o-rings at one time, because I've seen broken one on NIB Midways, but a small rubber band is all you need.

There's a plier type too that looks like a wire crimper. Run the cartridge up in your press, crimp on the bullet and bring the crimper down onto the top of the press. Some people buy a cheap wire crimper and drill out the jaws to the size they need.

Here's a link to a minor misadventure pulling bullets out of old semi-balloon head cases.
http://beartoothbullets.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1293&highlight=webley

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
24 Posts
TwoBits, do yourself a favor, get both.

For serious numbers you need the collet type, but a lot of times you may want to extract just one or two, and setting up the collet type isn't nearlty as convienient.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
For the impact pullers, use a standard shellholder. John Barsness advised throwing the o-ring assembly out the back door as far as you can! I pretty well agree with his opinion.

·
Registered
238 Posts
TwoBits - I've always had good luck with the Quinetics bullet puller. They're fast, you don't have to beat them to death to get the bullet out and they only need one collet to do it all. Just remember to rap them smartly and squarely on a hard surface. I agree with Tmam, if you've got more than 20 or so you'll need both types but if your saving the bullets then the Quinetics is the way to go. By the way if your going to do it neatly then tape up the side opening - if you don't the powder will fly everywhere when the bullet comes out. CEJ..

·
Banned
556 Posts
Fancy stuff, that. What's wrong with using your teeth?

·
Registered
311 Posts
MikeG,
That little tidbit comes just at the right time. I decided to pull all of my bullets from the missized cases. Was not looking forward to that chore with the kinetic puller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts