Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting together a nice little 310 Cadet Martini with a .256 Win.Mag. 19-1/2"barrel. I scoped it with a 3X9 Redfield. I'm currently in the process of fireforming the cases (minimum change of shoulder/angle is required) so I'm using a basic standard charge with 75 gr. spitzer bullet seated to within about .010 of the rifling.  It appears to have potential as a very accurate gun..well under a M.O.A. If I can figure out what is causing the vertical "stringing" of bullet impact. The horizontal dispersion in several groups of 5 shots each has not exceeded 3/4" but measuring up and down the dispersion shows as much as 3 to 4" at this 100 yard range. I'm resting the rifle on the forstock about midpoint, right over the screw that holds the fore-stock to the barrel and have not tightened this screw beyond a reasonable amount and really just enough to hold the fore-stock securely against the barrel. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing this abnormal and aggravating vertical dispersion? All answers welcome.  Flasks

·
Registered
256 Posts
flasks: Vertical stringing is a fairly common occurence with 2 piece stock jobs. One of the bedding problems that can cause it is too much pressure of the rear forend face against the action. As the barrel warms it increases that pressure and raise point of impact. One of the tests to see if that is causing it is to remove the forend and shoot the rifle with the action resting on your sandbag with the barrel clear of the rest. If it still does it then the barrel/action link up or internal barrel stresses are suspect. If that stops it replace the forend and shoot it again using the action only on the front sand bag. If  stringing does not re-occur then try a group holding the forend in your hand and resting your wrist on the sandbag. Some rifles including Savage F.W.99's simply like to be held down and pulled back a bit into the shoulder to shoot their best. Your Martini may or may not prefer that. All you can do is experiment a bit and see if anything improves the situation. luck in finding a solution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts