Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an idea I've been mulling over for a while and I finally decided to see if anyone is interested.

I have just made a deal to send some bullets that I no longer need to a forum member who will put them to good use in a new rifle he purchased. I have a Tupperware container that is 1/3 full of bullets that I have no plans to ever use, for one reason or another. Either they didn't group well from my gun, I later chose another style of bullet, or I later sold the gun they would have been used with.

How many of you out there in virtual reloader land have the same stockpile of bullets you're not likely to ever use and would like to exchange them with someone who might want to try them out? As another possible thought: What if 2 or 3 forum members each bought one box of different bullets, with a plan to then distribute an equal number of them, amongst one another? The whole idea here would be to test new bullets for your various calibers, w/o getting stuck with half-empty boxes of various makes and styles laying around your reloading bench.

Is this a dumb idea or something a few of you might be interested in doing?

Jason

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,699 Posts
Use leftover / odds'n'ends rifle bullets to shoot pigs, *****, and other varmits......

I have been sitting on a bunch of .357 jacketed bullets that I thought I would never use, but after my wife started shooting those can go in some sort of plinker loads. Seems like if bullets sit around long enough, you'll eventually find an excuse to buy another gun!

:D

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I think its just easier to put a list up in the classifieds if you want to get rid of them. That way somebody can buy the ones they want. Under 13 ounces can go First Class, which is pretty cheap if you just have a handful of bullets to send. Otherwise the $5 flat rate box is just wide enough for most bullet boxes.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought a box of Hornady 140gr FTX bullets for a gun I'm working with and so far, the accuracy is awful. I'm guessing maybe they are being driven faster than they were designed, but I've honestly never seen a bullet that was "over-stabilized", so I don't know if that's what is happening, or not. I'm shooting them from a barrel that was originally a 357Mag, but has been rechambered for a more powerful cartridge, so even though the barrel has a 1:14 twist, I'm thinking the much higher velocity is causing the bullet to not fly right. I've got a few more handloads to try before I give up, but odds are I'll wind up with ~50 bullets that I have no real use for.

Although, I HAVE been thinking about buying a 357 revolver and they'd work well for that, I imagine. Maybe you're onto something there, Mike! :)

·
Banned
742 Posts
If you have a 35 caliber rifle they would be great for blasting milk jugs filled with water.:D Or a friend for that matter.
Holes in paper.....Holes in used milk jugs....What's the difference. It's all fun.:D

Edit: A friend with the rifle...Not a friend to shoot at...:cool:

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woodchuck,

I am very glad you edited your post to clarify! :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts