Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you folks shoot informally indoors, an unbeatable bullet trap is an 18 inch tall rubbermaid wastebasket filled with the cheapest sand you can get your hands on. You also need a supply of duct tape.

Placed 3 feet behind my chronograph, this nicely fills the bullet travel area above it, and is a good place to hang targets or stick orange dots, etc.

As long as you don't shoot wad cutters into it, the holes will shrink to 1/8 bullet diameter on impact, and sand under its own weight won't leak out. When you get too many holes, just put a layer of duct tape over them, and repeat.

With use the wastebasket will become square, and you will have 4 sides to abuse before replacing @ $3.97 from Walmart.

I tested mine with a 500 gr .416 Hawk bullet at 2400 fps, and it did not even come close to penetrating it. Same for 458s, 338s, you name it.

Think cheap...sand box grade sand is too fine and will leak. Get the coarse stuff and you can stop anything.

·
Banned
738 Posts
loader,
This is an excellent idea. I've wondered about how to stop bullets so I could make a basement range. I'll try this.

I'll have to get one with a lid. Other wise my cats will thinks it's for them.

·
Banned
554 Posts
My dad had a "range" in the basement when we were kids (much to the irritation of my mother; irregular gunfire below is somewhat unpleasant when making dinner).

One day a friend came by and proceded to miss the trap and shoot the house's electrical junction box. Very spectacular and a topic of conversation to this day!

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup...when you miss it can be big trouble. I flank the wastebasket with two sandbags when shooting large bore hand guns. Gives me a real incentive not to flinch. Only shot the chronograph once. Rifles are no problem from 15 feet, but if you are in a basement, DOWN is where the muzzle goes!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts